Well, I got it. (review of new Macbook)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by taylorwilsdon, Oct 17, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

After being Apple-laptop-less for several months, the new Macbooks look great to me. Except for the glossy screen, its everything I've wanted in a laptop.

I was going to buy one from J&R with cashback, but I got impatient so I drove out to the Apple store and picked one up. Not waiting a few days cost me a good $175, but oh well.

Here my 2c:
    Screen is brighter and looks great at a glance, but its not a great screen. Poor contrast even after calibration. Very very poor viewing angles. I'm spoiled with a 23" cinema display and S-ips Thinkpad as comparison points.

Its way thinner than its white brother sitting next to it, and that's something I needed before I bought a Macbook. The thin Pro had me spoiled.

Looks SEXY. Its finally aluminum. I consider this a true mini-pro.

Keyboard is nice, I like the chiclets. Has a good feel to it. The trackpad is wicked, I think it works great (but to put things in perspective, I've been using a Thinkpad nipple for 2 months :)). I could see myself getting tired of it, but it hasn't happened yet.

It still feels too heavy. I hated that about the first Macbook (felt like a brick) and while this is better, its not quite there. They should have shot for 4lbs, but that would have put it too close to the Macbook Air.

Temperatures are great, I think its much cooler than the last gen.

I'll add some pictures if anybody hasn't already seen it all.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I hate that retarded nipple on those Stinkpads!! Anyways congrats.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Oh cmon, 4lbs is not heavy, rather very light for a laptop. I'm not muscular and the plastic MacBooks are very light to me. Heck, I'm a scrawny 15 year old. Now you can go figure. :cool:

6. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Its not 4lbs, its 4.5. I was saying I wish it was 4. I use a Thinkpad X61 tablet that's about 3.7lbs.

Its not a big deal if you're carrying it from the couch to the bed, but if you're like me and carry your computer 9 hours a day, 6 days a week, its a pretty big deal and every bit counts. The air just isn't functional for my needs or I would have picked it up.

7. hazoomeh macrumors member

4.5 lbs is ridiculously light. i think your perception has something to do with the actual size of the thing. If it was 17" with same weight you'd be like this thing is down-filled!

8. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

4 lbs. is not "very light" for a notebook, it's mid weight. Something such as the MacBook Air, which is 3 lbs. is a more accurate contender for "very light for a notebook."
    Again, 4.5 lbs. is not at all ridiculously light. You may have had a valid point if it wasn't for the fact that the Dell XPS M1330, with an equivalent 13.3'' display, is a full pound lighter, at around 3.5 lbs.

9. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

No, it isn't. For people who actually use laptops as mobile computers rather than movable desktops, its heavy. I'm not going to sit here and argue the facts, but I'll tell you this - the only laptop I've been satisfied with on the weight front is my Sony Vaio X505 at 1.85lbs.

And yes, if it was 17" and 4.5lbs that would be excellent, because the weigh distribution would be much wider. But its not, so I'm not sure what your point is. With a couple extra batteries, this thing creeps up on too heavy but for now I think its going to work.

10. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

I drove 45 minutes up to Ann Arbor (Go Bucks!) this morning to exchange my new, sealed in the box "Blackbook" for a new 2.4Ghz, backlit MB. Before exchanging my white 2.4 for the Blackbook yesterday, I used to white one for over a week. I'm not a long time Macbook user, but these are just a few things I've noticed between the "old one" and the new, Aluminium model...

1. The screen seems way brighter to me. Maybe it is due to the glass/gloss finish of it, but it seems to "pop" out more. I'm not seeing any viewing angle issues, but I usually have my MB sitting right in front of me. Reflection issues seem to be at a minimum. Perhaps I will notice some after some use.

2. The construction seems 110% better! (Although, it seems to be a given.) The fit and finish are top notch. I didn't have any issues with my plastic MB, but it makes me a little more secure knowing that this is solid, as opposed to multiple pieces plastic.

3. The keyboard is a vast improvement over the plastic model. The keys feel more positive to me. Maybe it's more the layout, but I feel as if they just feel a little more thought out. The backlit keys feel so natural to me, as I've been using a Logitech G15 keyboard with backlit keys with my PC for a few years.

4. I'm not too big of a "stats" person. I'm more of a "seat of the pants" guy. The main program I used while I owned the white MB for that week, was Photoshop. (Just for converting RAW files to JPEGS, mainly.) Soon as I installed PS on the new MB, I noticed how much faster is opens and converts files. I'm not talking about 10 seconds or anything, but it's obvious to me the new model is faster.

Overall, I'm super happy I decided to exchange for the new model. The build quality is top notch and the new improvements are welcomed. Not saying that the "old model" is insufficient, as that's not the case. If I would have just kept my white MB, I would still be happy. But the new model compared to the old one is like night and day.