Well I just bought a new iMac and

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Live Steam, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Live Steam macrumors regular

I am really starting to love it. IT's a 20" 2.4G iMac.

I have been a PC user for more than 20 years and never had the inclination to switch. I used my friend's Mac on occasion, but always felt like a fish out of water, not knowing how to navigate through the system. I am still having some trouble and that is the reason I came to this forum. It looks like this is the pace to get answers. I have already done some search to answer some questions. That was helpful.

I made the switch because I was tired of all of the maintenance my PC required because of the people on the Internets who have nothing better to do that make life difficult through spam/spyware, viruses, etc. I was almost anal about keeping the machine clean, yet the performance sufferd still. It suffered from the spyware, broken registery issues because of malware and it suffered because of all of the cr@p that needed to be running in the background to prevent all of the other cr@p. I had enough! Now I am ready for some speed and performance. Like they say, once you go Mac you don't go back :)

I do have some question though and they will surely follow in other threads and posts down the line. I do have one question that would help being answered now. My old system was an HP Media system. It had a portable media drive that has all of my data stored on it. I can access it and view files, but I cannot modify and then save the changes without saving to a new file. Is there a work around for this or do I need to rename everything? Also, It seems I cannot delete the originals if I do save them to a new file. That would also be inconvenient. I prefer to keep the drive as it is pretty fast and still has ample storage available.

Well thank for your help in advance and GO iMac!

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I would imagine this is either the way the drive has been formatted or a permissions issue.

A quick & clean way would be to copy all the data off onto your new mac, for mat the drive (Apps/Utilities/Disk Utility) as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & then put the data back on (removing from the mac afterwards).

This should sort all the probs. Enjoy your new toy!:D

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Your external is probably formated as NTFS (Windows File System). Macs can read files from this file system but cannot write to this file system.

As the last poster suggested, the easiest thing to do would be to copy all the files to your internal HD (if there's room) and then reformat the external using the HFS+ file system.

4. Live Steam thread starter macrumors regular

Now why didn't I think of that? Sometimes when you are too close to something you can't see it :) Thanks I am pretty sure I have ample space on the new drive for that.