Well I may have just bricked my phone folks....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Reppindaburghh, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Reppindaburghh macrumors newbie

So I am on the 3GS 3.1.3 on Spirit. Been runnin fine since the day Spirit came out. Just about 10 minutes ago I opened cydia and it prompted me to upgrade. I did the "Complete Upgrade" like usual, and it did its thing then prompted me to "Reload Springboard." I clicked that, and now its just been loading for the past 10 minutes or so. That circular loading icon is in the middle, spinning. Its not stuck or anything, i've seen where it was stuck on my buddies phone a few months back and he had to restore. But mine is still moving. Whats my best option here?

Note: I'd like to avoid attempting to Restore seeing as I have not backed up my phone in quite some time and will lose a hefty amount of my contacts that i've added since then, plus a wide range of apps i've installed since then as well.

Ideas? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Fixed it, WHEW. Mods can delete the thread if you want.

2. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

Your phone isnt bricked. iPhones are entirely too well designed to brick. Try DFU and restore.

3. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

4. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

5. Aero26 macrumors regular

Don't say that. They'll infract you like they did me. :rolleyes: Cause we're certainly trying to take fixable $700 gadgets off people's hands for just a broken $20.

6. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Was completely tongue and cheek.

7. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

i have never had a device that couldnt be restored, and i have restored scores of times.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Typical newbie, doesn't really understand what they are doing response...sigh

9. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

haha u r a funny lizard...

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Serves you right young man... now throw it in the trash!

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The Op came to the forum for help. Instead of laughing at him I am sure all he needed was a hard reset and you could have told him how to do it.

12. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I can sense by your recent posts that you are getting tired of the "OMG MY PHONE IS GONNA BLOW UP HELP!!!!" threads, as am I.
    Where did they all come from? So many people are just so uneducated when it comes to iPhones, especially Jailbreaking and Unlocking. I honestly can't stand it any more-- the other day someone used Sn0wbreeze to see if their 3GS was unlockable, it said no because it wasn't updated for 4.0 yet.
    We told him countless times that it was unlockable, but he wouldn't listen and told us we were wrong. It never used to be this bad, people used to be just plain dumb, now they're dumb and arrogant.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Too many people are coming here to be SPOONFED. They refuse to read, use Google, look for a tutorial or make any effort whatsoever to help themselves.

All of us learned to do this by reading and research. Is it too much to expect at least some effort from others to do the same.

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Couldn't agree more.

16. Reppindaburghh thread starter macrumors newbie

:dead: at you criticizing me for asking a question rather then read through a bunch of pages of threads and hinting that I'm lazy. While at the very same instant rather then contributing to the thread you decide to critcize me. :cool:

This is an internet forum that is used for discussion. This is not a tutorial page that is used specifically for reading. If you do not like discussion, stay away from forums, *******.

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I believe the forums rules will disagree with you.

"Failing to search. If you have a question, it may already have been asked and answered in the forums. If you have an issue to discuss, there may already be a discussion about it. Set a good example by searching for existing threads before starting a new thread. When other people (especially new members) fail to search and start new threads on old topics, don't scold them or make them feel unwelcome. The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a previous relevant thread."

You are not a unique flower. If you do not like following the rules, stay away from the forums..

18. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Im still in shock someone decided to rebuttal after dhlizard has spoken :eek:

its true, i had learned MOST things from google

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Glad you got your phone going, after all that is the most important thing.

As a note, the term "bricking" a phone is a holdover from the early days of the initial jailbreaking the original iPhones.
    Outside of a sudden hardware failure, it is impossible to brick these phones, using that term is generally frowned upon these days and usually indicates the poster has done inadequate research.

Be well.