Well, I tried... ATT wouldn't reinstate unlimited plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bmuse21, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Bmuse21, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

Bmuse21 macrumors newbie

I didn't expect them to, and the choice to downgrade was mine, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I was grandfathered w/ ATT's unlimited plan, but after a few months I downgraded to save $15. :eek: Haven't gone over the 200MB yet, but have gotten close -- and I have to really watch where I use data.

Now upgrading from 3GS to 4S, I decided that unlimited data was important. Not knowing how much more I'll use with the 4S, I'd rather have the peace of mind.

So, I called ATT, to ask if they would re-grandfather me back to unlimited. The rep was nice, put me on hold for a while, then said that she'd checked with 2 managers and they had said -- quoting her -- "It doesn't matter what phone you buy, you can't go back to the unlimited plan."

So I thanked her, and figured I'd try again today before switching carriers. This time the rep didn't even blink -- just said immediately that once the unlimited plan is removed, there is no way to reinstate it.

I assume there are lots of other customers asking for the same thing. But I was hoping that they'd rather keep a customer plus get an additional $15 a month.

Not sure if others have had success with this, but for me at least, they're standing firm and willing to lose a customer over it. Pre-ordered from Sprint today, all went smoothly.

* This isn't intended to start a debate over network/speed/2GB/etc :). It's just an observation on the business position.

2. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Yeah once you remove it it cant get added back on. now if it got dropped off because of a mistake then they just have to get a supervisor to approve it. Or that's what i've done for my customers in the past, i jut give customer care a call and boom they add it back. i deal with that a lot.

3. DC Hurricane macrumors member

In my experience once something is out of their system it is impossible to add it back. It's literally nothing they can do. I even had this happen on accident one time in the past and they offered me a credit on my bill for the mistake but they said it's nothing they could do if it's not in the system. You should've asked before you removed it if you were unsure.

4. Bmuse21 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Was it your unlimited data? because they can add it back it but it has to be supervisor/manager approved.

6. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I am sure something can be done.

Speak with a manager, and then let them know you would like to talk to the cancellation department because Sprint can offer you unlimited data for your iphone, and if they do not want to do anything to help rectify your situation that you will go with them

Since you had unlimited before, I almost guarantee they will do something.

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You downgraded, enough said. The people guaranteeing you something will happen are lolworthy.

8. Bmuse21 thread starter macrumors newbie

@bpeeps: please reread first sentence in my OP.

9. 2010RS macrumors 6502

I just called AT&T and they wouldn't reinstate my employee plan from 1998 either. Bummer.

10. Bmuse21, Oct 7, 2011

Bmuse21 thread starter macrumors newbie

hilarious.

As I said, I didn't expect it. This thread was simply my observation that ATT would rather lose my $100 a month than match the unlimited offer and gain $15 more.

When Verizon got the iPhone and offered unlimited plans, ATT "quietly" (as most headlines stated it) offered unlimited to customers to keep them from jumping ship. That was then, this is now, but it didn't hurt to ask, right?

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

And you should reread my second sentence, noting the use of the word people and not mentioning you specifically.

12. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

it also depends who you talk too. as i work for att, some reps will give you the world and some just say ****** it and have the same ***** different day attitude.

Hope sprint treats you well.

13. Bmuse21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks phillyphill. I actually had Sprint for over 10 years, and had been quite happy with them. I only went to ATT because of the iPhone.

Maybe they'll remember me, and Dan Hesse will call to personally say welcome back. :)

14. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

It's only $10 per gb if you go over so you'll still save money :)

15. corys00 macrumors regular

From someone who works in the cell industry, if we remember you, it's not a good thing, it means you were an extreme headache for us. The exception to the rule is if you're a hot chick and I'm 99.9999999999999999% certain you're not a hot chick.

16. Bmuse21 thread starter macrumors newbie

@bpeeps: apologies, no offense intended. The reply I was replying to had changed by the time I posted; I'm guessing you revised it while I was typing.

17. NoHo macrumors 6502

That sucks, but yeah, should have been expected.

I use between 1gb and 5gb a month just doing regular iPhone stuff and the peace of mind of not having to worry about what I do with my phone is worth the extra $5 it cost to stay on unlimited rather than switching to a 2gb tiered plan.

Data is only going to become more heavy with iCloud and other great apps coming out.

18. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

why do people feel it's best practice to threaten companies to get their way after their own mistake? ridiculous.

19. whistler222 macrumors 6502

Quick note: you downgraded to 200MB.. .and have gotten close but have NOT gone over.

so why not get the $25, 2GB plan? if you havent ever gone over 200MB, you'll probably never go over 2GB..

20. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

^^^
    beat me to it

If your data use is hovering around 200MB you can still get the 2GB plan for $25 and you'd still be saving $5 over the unlimited plan. I don't know that a new phone would cause you to use 10x the data that you are using now.

21. Bmuse21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think SeanZy's reply suggested "threatening." I do recognize that some people take that to extremes.

Stores often match each other's prices, to get you to spend your money with them instead of a competitor -- but you have to bring in the ad and ask.

22. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah but he's telling you to contact the cancellation department.....which is a threat that you are going to cancel unless you reinstate unlimited data.

23. Bmuse21, Oct 7, 2011

Bmuse21 thread starter macrumors newbie

@whistler and HitchHykr: probably for the same reason I get the largest Slurpee when it's only 10 cents more -- don't want to be driving down the street and wish I had more Slurpee. :)

I would likely be in the 60% of users who stay within the smaller limits. But I do avoid using data-apps now and frequently check my data usage. I agree with NoHo that data usage will grow more than I anticipate. For roughly the same price (or a bit less), it's a little peace of mind to not worry for the next couple years.

24. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Because they're not too bright and have a sense of entitlement while lacking complete sense on how businesses work. They think that any company should make an exception for THEM because THEY ARE SPECIAL. Of course, these people are also wrong. ;)

25. blue22 macrumors 6502a

blue22

well said...

Agreed. And the best thread sequence right there. :)

Good luck to the OP on getting the best deal you can.