Well, I waited enough :P

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bAdNitro, Sep 14, 2012.

1. bAdNitro, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

bAdNitro macrumors member

bAdNitro

I've been waiting to order the Mac Mini for months now. I was not impressed with Apple's idea to not update the 14-15 month old Mac Mini but I simply could not wait any longer. If apple releases an update within the next 30 days, do you think they'll exchange it for me? Highly unlikely, I know.

I ordered the $799 version with the i7 upgrade. I have my Vertex 4 SSD waiting for its new home, and I'll pickup 16gb of RAM from Crucial.

Figure it'll be a nice workstation for my needs. I still can't believe I spent $800 on a computer that's so old though. I'm hoping it does well enough for my needs that I no longer care about that.

Think this will be good enough for CS6 Master Collection, Cinema 4D, and Adobe Edge? (As well as browsing, music, movie watching, the normal stuff :p)

2. theRAMman macrumors regular

no, i dont think an quad core i7 with 16gb of ram and a ssd will be able to do CS6 at all, in fact, i cant believe apple even sells such an underpowered computer!

3. QEin macrumors newbie

I hope thats sarcasm as I'll be ordering identical spec mac mini and identical upgrades as soon as my new bank card arrives! This is supposed to be a machine that will last me a good few years.

Badnitro, you going to double stack the hard drives? I'm just ordering an external case for the factory fit hard drive for all of £2 and just going to put media on that. 128gb of SSD will be plenty for all my aps.

Also, am I being a fool? Thought 8gb of ram was maximum?

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

OP's machine is dual-core ;)

Apple probably states that it's 8, but 2x 8GB runs fine.

5. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

16 GB running fine. MacMini 2011

6. theRAMman macrumors regular

that was indeed sarcasm, it is an exellent computer.

----------

i got confused with the quad core server

7. bAdNitro thread starter macrumors member

bAdNitro

Yeah I'll be doublestacking the drives inside the mini. Figure the 28$ flex cable is better than an external enclosure through USB. too many things can fail there for me. If my setup fails, it's either a quick cable replacement, or a replacement drive through OCZ. With an enclosure, it's either the drive, the connection to the enclosure, the USB cable, or the USB port on the lobo. Less things that can go wrong is better in my opinion.

Yeah I'm hoping this machine lasts me a few years too. Just wish they saw even a silent update. Brand new computer is already a year and 3-4 months old lmao.

8. Bunyak macrumors member

I decided to use a SSD with an external Thunderbolt enclosure. My 2011 Mini boots in about 17-18 seconds.

I thought that if a 2012/3 model comes out soon, I could sell the 2011 Mini and move the SSD & enclosure to the 2012/3 Mini.

9. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I too just bought a thunderbolt enclosure, I was getting ready for my new imac, didnt buy the mac yet, but it runs great on my mini, I cloned my drive booted off it, and the speeds are incredible. Quite happy with this and will def be using it on my imac since apples ssd prices are so wonky.

10. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

Which enclosure did you buy? I am thinking about doing the same, I want to boot from an SSD but do not want to mount 2 drives internally. I would hate break something.
    I have built plenty of PS's over the years but the tiny space inside and the flexibility of moving it to a different machine later on is attractive.

11. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I grabbed the seagate goflex, so far so good for me.

12. Bunyak macrumors member

Me too. I got the desktop version because it has a Thunderbolt port that allows you to daisy-chain another Thunderbolt device. The portable version doesn't have the port.