Well, I want to buy an iPhone but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMJustAGuy, Jun 8, 2008.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

This may not be the perfect place for this question and I truely have looked and searched AND called (but they are closed at this time) about this but people are really nice and helpful here so...anyway, I really want to buy an iPhone and I am 18. Well someone just informed me the some companies require you to have an established credit to sign up. I have NO credit at all. Ive only had a debit card. Will AT&T let me sign a contract with them. I am so sick of my prepaid plan. Also, if not, is this one of those situations where you could talk to the "big dog" and get them to say ok, you can but first bill not paid were taking it.. lol, I feel dumb the way I am asking but I really am clueless. Thank you so much.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You can do it as a Go Phone plan pretty much.

If i were you, i would go to your local AT&T store, and see if you are eligible.

Or just have your parents sign you up and you pay the bill.

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I know when I got my contract phone, the needed a Credit card to set my account up, then used my debit card for my monthly payments.

I dont see why you shouldn't be able to get one. Anyway, you don't set up your account at AT&T. You will do it at home through iTunes.

4. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

As I just added, I have prepaid now, and hate it! It is such a rip off. Also, for curiosity sake, they are offering iPhone as a prepaid phone??

5. SRSound macrumors 6502

ATT may let you sign up, but I believe you will just have to pay a much more significant deposit.

6. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

They have deposites....., of what kind?

7. SRSound macrumors 6502

I Believe when you sign up for a new plan, there is a "security deposit" of sorts included in the initial fee. I think for the most part it is insignificant, but in lieu of good credit, they may just charge you more upfront as a security measure (they can and will draw from this if you're unable to pay your bill).

8. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

AT&T Mobility security deposits range from $250 to $1000

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

10. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

11. Corbet macrumors member

Why can't your parents just sign the contract for you?

12. corysti macrumors newbie

I don't know how it will work for you but I got my very own plan from at&t by myself with no credit. I purchased my plan online using a credit card to buy the phone *BlackJack* and the plan. When I got my Iphone I just went into the AT&T store and purchased my Iphone without any credit check's. If you must have a credit check just get your parent's or some family member to co-sign for you.

13. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

honestly? i just got kicked out.lol.

14. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

For pay as you go, I think you enter all 9s at the credit check screen during iTunes activation. It will fail the credit check and offer you pay as you go.

15. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

I think they caught on to that. He'll have to use a new number, can't remember exactly, but it has 1s and 4s, I think. If anyone knows the number, please post.

16. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

if i gave them mine wouldnt it fail anyway since i have no credit...?

17. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yeah, I'd try and see what happens. You're not opposed to signing a contract, you just don't think you can, right?

If you pass the credit check, good. If you fail the credit check, you should be presented an option for pay as you go. It looks like a win win situation.

Edit: Also, this is assuming this is still offered. I hadn't seen much mention of this since last June so I just assumed it hadn't changed.

18. SleepingSicknes macrumors member

Try using Visa or MasterCard gift cards? Or buy a prepaid CreditCard?

19. lilj4425 macrumors 6502

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Prepaid is great for people who barely use a phone. But if you make more than about 30 minutes of calls a month, it's poop.

Anywho, iPhone isn't technically offered that way. That may change Monday, but I'm not sure. You may have to pay the full price for a prepaid. If someone does find a way, your best bet (unless you need 3G and all the new stuff) would be to scour eBay later this month for all the people dumping the old iPhones.

21. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I REALY REALLY dont want prepaid. I cant believe they are just going to turn me down, bc i have no credit.

22. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

so just say they went on sale tomorrow... if i went the att.com and purchased it with my debit card.. i just worked around the credit check?

23. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I don't get this... I didn't have to do a credit check or anything when I signed up at At&t.

24. jk000 macrumors regular

jk000

just have a word with them at the store, they'll tell you the best way to do it. speak to more than one person to get different opinions, i speak from experience when i say the first i not always correct

25. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

do u by hance remember if u had to give them your social??