Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
If the 12.9 is always docked on a keyboard wouldn’t a MacBook Air and mini make more sense?

Um who says I don’t have a m1 laptop (16 pro max), a m1 iMac, and a m1 ultra studio?! I do. The laptop for heavy lifting while traveling, the studio for heavy lifting in the office, but when I’m on the couch watching the news I find the ease of an iPad to be better for light tasks. I prefer iOS to Mac OS for email.

And who says the 12.9 is always on the MK? I said almost. I like having the choice of increased viewing angles over a laptop.

But sure if I could have only 1 device? It would be my MacBook Pro. Fortunately, in this one instance I can afford to have my cake and eat it too.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Not sure I can do without one tbh, I use mine with the Keychron mechanical keyboard as oppose to the MKB and the experience is awesome. My other needs are fulfilled my the M1 iMac

I jumped on the 12.9 ' band wagon in 2020, followed by the M1 upgrade.

Reactions: ozapple

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
The bigger screen real estate seems like a one-way move for most. I moved to 12.9 with the 1st gen, and have the miniLED gen now, but 18 months back I bought an iPad mini just for reading purposes and found I never used it, as I would always reach for the big boy even when reading. So I sold it second-hand. The 12.9 is my favorite device. I use it more than my phone. It's great to have a big, beautiful window into the world. I'd probably buy an even bigger one if it existed.
you yourself must be a very big boy.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Sold mine was just used as a office tv and browsing at night, had it 11.5 months so got out while there was some value left in it, only cost me $200AU for a near years use. Hated the MGK and don't draw.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
My mother-in-law saw my 4th Gen 12.9” and wanted one, so I gave her mine and replaced it with a 5th Gen. It’s my favorite tech device of all time, bar none.

View attachment 2002709
I’ve got a similar pic! And agreed, favorite combo for sure.
421C9307-DE70-46FC-A313-CB9647B4BD6E.jpeg

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
As a side if anyone is in to phone/tablet
F9019F98-1D96-4AB5-9C43-921DFD734D11.jpeg
skins I’ve been using the dbrand skins on my iPad and MacBook and they are really good quality. I’ve wrapped my entire iPad.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I too love my 12.9”, but yes device size a very personal decision. The best size depends entirely on how one wants to use their device, what one’s tolerances are, etc. I think if one wants to use their iPad with a keyboard often, or otherwise mostly resting on something, a stand or lap etc, and it’s carried around in a standard-sized bag/backpack anyway, then there isn’t much sacrifice in having a bigger device and one can really just benefit from the larger screen. On the other hand, if one often wants to hold their iPad, then a smaller one will usually be the better way to go. Or if someone is like me and just wants the bigger screen, to use with the Pencil for example, even holding it, then of course the 12.9” works best.
For me, I really like having the advantages of both a big and small iPad, so I have a Mini in addition to the 12.9”. As far as justifying buying two iPads, that is also very personal. For me, my 12.9” iPad and Pencil really help me with some work-related tasks that wouldn’t work as well on smaller iPads, so I have no issues justifying it. The Mini is much more of a leisure device, but I use it by far the most out of all my devices precisely because of its size, so it also earns its keep. One medium-sized iPad would be a bad compromise for me, worst of both worlds. But everyone is different.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Even the Mini gets long in the hand after a while;
Yeah but I think it’s not really because of the weight, but the size, which dictates how it’s held. Meaning, the Mini isn’t small enough to comfortably hold with one hand by wrapping one’s fingers and thumb around both edges kinda like a phone, at least for me, so I either have to hold it two-handed which is hard to get into a comfortable position that I can hold for a long time, or I have to pinch one edge of the Mini between my fingers and thumb, which gets tiring quickly.

So I’ve been using Pop Sockets on every Mini I’ve had. It allows me to hold the Mini one-handed forever with a relaxed hand. I actually use two sockets so that I can hold it in either portrait or landscape orientation. They also allow me to use the Mini one-handed with my thumb, which is great, albeit it’s limited to scrolling, page flipping, and swiping up to go to home screen. It’s to the point my Mini feels very incomplete without the Pop Sockets.

1652767638709.jpeg

ozapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
For me, I really like having the advantages of both a big and small iPad, so I have a Mini in addition to the 12.9”. As far as justifying buying two iPads, that is also very personal.

Well it’s funny you mention that…because I have just picked up a Mini 6 to go along with the 12.9! I had an 11’” Pro prior to the 12.9, but like you, found that it just wasn’t the right size anymore, hence the 12.9.

Since having the larger one, I have noticed that it is a little difficult to manage on the lounge and especially while laying in bed. For me, the mini will fill this void perfectly as a leisure device, leaving the big boy docked on the MK ready for the bigger tasks.

Now I still have to think about what to do with that M1 MBA…! (I know, I know….it’s not going anywhere…!)

Reactions: VaruLV and subjonas

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Well it’s funny you mention that…because I have just picked up a Mini 6 to go along with the 12.9! I had an 11’” Pro prior to the 12.9, but like you, found that it just wasn’t the right size anymore, hence the 12.9.

Since having the larger one, I have noticed that it is a little difficult to manage on the lounge and especially while laying in bed. For me, the mini will fill this void perfectly as a leisure device, leaving the big boy docked on the MK ready for the bigger tasks.

Now I still have to think about what to do with that M1 MBA…! (I know, I know….it’s not going anywhere…!)
Got a mini 6 today the jelly scrolling is bad. You seeing it?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianSoCal

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Came from a 10.5” Pro. Before the pre-orders went live for the M1 Pro I went to a local store and played around with the 11” and 12.9” Pro and instantly wanted the 12.9”. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need a wheelbarrow to transport it about, or a suitcase. The screen is gorgeous and I find myself using it more in portrait as the width is pretty much the landscape width of the 10.5. Pre-ordered the 1TB 5G Silver and arrived at launch. Still loving it.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I am a "multi-tablet" guy, that is I have tablets of all sizes, both iPads and Samsung. But I have to say the ones I use the most are the 12.9 (and the 12.4 for Samsung). I find them just the right size and weight.
I have the 14.6in Samsung ultra but I only use it for movies, it's amazing for movies, both the size and the aspect ratio (not so much the weight, which is the same as my old 2015 12.9 iPad pro) make it a bit too big for anything else. For me the mini is good just for use in bed, nowhere else....
The 11in with cellular and magic keyboard is great as a laptop replacement for outside the house, but at home it's mostly 12.9 all the time, it's just the sweet spot...

Reactions: VaruLV and ozapple

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
Yeah but I think it’s not really because of the weight, but the size, which dictates how it’s held. Meaning, the Mini isn’t small enough to comfortably hold with one hand by wrapping one’s fingers and thumb around both edges kinda like a phone, at least for me, so I either have to hold it two-handed which is hard to get into a comfortable position that I can hold for a long time, or I have to pinch one edge of the Mini between my fingers and thumb, which gets tiring quickly.

So I’ve been using Pop Sockets on every Mini I’ve had. It allows me to hold the Mini one-handed forever with a relaxed hand. I actually use two sockets so that I can hold it in either portrait or landscape orientation. They also allow me to use the Mini one-handed with my thumb, which is great, albeit it’s limited to scrolling, page flipping, and swiping up to go to home screen. It’s to the point my Mini feels very incomplete without the Pop Sockets.

View attachment 2005914
Could you post a photo of your pop socket set up without your hand blocking the second one? I'm interested in trying this on my mini.

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
The one thing about the iPad Pro 12.9 that bothers me...

Battery life. The newest iPhone battery life is 10000% better than the original iPhone. I made that number up to save you a novel on all the ways its light years better. Looking it up it looks like its something like 5x better or more while doing 11ty more things on more power hungry networks/modems.

iPad Pro 12.9 is literally rated 0% better than the original iPad over 12 years ago. How is that even possible? The stupid efficient M1 processor and a battery thats 62.5% bigger than the original battery size, cant last longer than a A8 with 12 year old software?

I've seen reviews knock battery life too. To look at what every Apple device has done in battery life since the OG>current...I just cant excuse or understand that. If battery life can 5x from an OG iPhone to a iPhone 13PM, then why cant we get SOME improvement from an OG iPad to a new 12.9? Is there anything else in the world (tech wise) apple isn't vastly better at than they were 12 years ago?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Battery life. The newest iPhone battery life is 10000% better than the original iPhone. I made that number up to save you a novel on all the ways its light years better. Looking it up it looks like its something like 5x better or more while doing 11ty more things on more power hungry networks/modems.

iPad Pro 12.9 is literally rated 0% better than the original iPad over 12 years ago. How is that even possible? The stupid efficient M1 processor and a battery thats 62.5% bigger than the original battery size, cant last longer than a A8 with 12 year old software?

iPhone battery capacity increased a lot more than the iPad’s.

OG iPhone: 5.18 Wh
iPhone 13: 12.41 Wh
iPhone 13 Pro Max: 16.75 Wh

OG iPad: 25 Wh
iPad 3: 43 Wh
iPad Pro 12.9 (2021): 40 Wh

The M1 is more efficient, yes. However, it uses the efficiency improvements to provide faster performance while more or less maintaining the same power consumption.

Battery capacity on the M1 12.9 didn’t increase to the same extent as iPhones. In fact, they’re just around the same capacity as the first 9.7” retina iPads.

It’s a balancing act between weight and battery life. The iPad Pro may not be able to match latest iPhones and Apple Silicon MacBooks (which have bigger batteries). However, it still offers decent battery life for a tablet and is a fairly acceptable compromise in exchange for the device not being too heavy.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
After more than a decade of owning 9.7” followed by 11” iPads, I recently bought a 5th Gen 12.9 pro for my mother. When it arrived, I played around with it a bit and simply fell in love with it. So much so that I went and bought myself one as well.

The extra screen real estate with that MiniLED display is gorgeous (despite the blooming issues we all know about), and it is so much easier to look at and type upon using the on-screen keyboard.

My fears were that it would be too big, however it turns out those fears were completely unfounded. I am of larger build and have no problems holding it with one hand to use with the pencil. I also bought the MK and I’m now wondering if my M1 MBA has become redundant, although i‘l likely keep it in the short term at least.

I had the MK with my 11“ 2020 Pro, but the size of the 12.9 one is so much easier to type on. While size preference will always be a personal choice, I will never go back to the 11” model again.

It's called age I think lol. I love my 11", but I can definitely appreciate the 12.9" model, it's like with phones these days, I go and look at all the iPhones and my eyes are like 'wow I'm in heaven' when looking at the biggest iPhone lol. Because of the extra screen real estate.

ozapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Got a mini 6 today the jelly scrolling is bad. You seeing it?
Yes…it’s shocking in portrait. Horizontal lines on the screen literally scroll on the diagonal

I can’t believe this made it through development. I’ll keep it, but it takes a lot of shine off the device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.