Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Title says it all. Didn't see it coming. Sure, I heard it coming, but I never thought it would happen. Its like in the simpsons, when burns says he'll donate 200 million dollars to an orphanage, when pigs fly, and then a pig is launched across the horizon. thats how i feel, just sitting there, looking at that pig.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Out of all the "oh no, it's Intel" threads started today, your title seemed worthy of the Outa Left Field Award for second-take surrealism.

Made more so as 'Pants' this side of the atlantic are an entirely different piece of clothing ... and not the sort you'd wanna put in a sandwich .... ;)

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
runplaysleeprun said:
Title says it all. Didn't see it coming. Sure, I heard it coming, but I never thought it would happen. Its like in the simpsons, when burns says he'll donate 200 million dollars to an orphanage, when pigs fly, and then a pig is launched across the horizon. thats how i feel, just sitting there, looking at that pig.

O man, what a classic episode. :D

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Raven, your avatar (which I love the most) accurately expresses how most people probably felt yesterday when they first heard the news. :)

centripetal

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2005
I have the oddest feeling that somewhere, Mr. Adams' ghost has just kicked on an infinite improbability drive.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Don't worry the Easter Bunny just stopped to drop a load of eggs on my head, and was on the way over to drop some chocolate sauce off for your pants.

I had a feeling Jobs would EOL the PowerPC970, but I didn't think he'd step go as far as telling the world Apple is now going to really compete against Dell in the PC market.

Of course everyone said the iPod was too expensive, and wouldn't make it.

So there is a good change Dell will be eating his shorts soon.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Spelling

MontyZ said:
Of course, he'll have someone else eat them for him.
Especially if they chunky flavored.

Yep, scary spelling on my last post. :eek:

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I have respect for the one person that spoke up and said they were wrong about this rumor.

So many people were on here that were saying that this wasn't going to happen.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
mac-er said:
I have respect for the one person that spoke up and said they were wrong about this rumor.

So many people were on here that were saying that this wasn't going to happen.
Most everyone felt the news didn't fit established Apple methods.

Still doesn't, and yet it does.

PowerPC is a damn good platform, but blunders and broken promises along with a severe lack of volume support made future CPUs a dead end on the roadmap.

We knew PPC970 was damn close to being called EOL by Apple, but the news of the switch to Intel was odd coming from Cnet.

This is a lot like the mini and the shuffle, something new from Apple.

---

To IBM and Freescale, Apple isn't a big enough customer -- but to Intel they are.

The PC industry is so fragmented right now and driven by cost cutting, a company driven by innovation with along with Apple's sales volume -- is a big deal to Intel.

Intel has been bloodied often recently by Apple in the wireless market, getting Apple with them on the innovation end will suddenly put Intel right where they want to be.

Sure Apple is going to ask for odd stuff to be included in their chipsets, but since the iMac -- Apple's innovative market turds have been far less than they were in the period before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.