well insulated mbp sleeve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nein01, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

i just asked my younger brother today what he might want for xmas, and he was telling me that his 15" pre-unibody macbook pro gets really cold on his drives to and from school (30 minute trip). he said he has a cheap case for it but whenever he gets his mbp out after his drive it won't turn on for a while until it warms up.

he was wondering if i could find some kind of insulated sleeve for his 15".

is that the solution? any recommendations on what brand to get?

thanks in advance!

2. dizmonk macrumors regular

I'm in interested in this answer also since I just got a 13" MBP and it's winter here in New England...

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Oh, I'll never forget my years in Boston, my gawd it would get cold! Had to take the red line to green line just to get to class at northeastern univ. in January, thought I'd get frostbite everyday! haha

5. krisjon macrumors regular

My Built NY sleeve is made of 3-4mm thick, very durable neoprene (same material as wetsuits). It's a pretty good insulator, so might be worth looking into.

6. Blu101, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Go for the gusto:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

A full 6mm neoprene interior lining wrapped in ballistic nylon on the exterior.

He may have a different problem going on though...unless he's driving with the MBP strapped to the windshield, it should turn on. The MBP doesn't generate any heat when it's off or even in sleep, so no matter what sleeve he uses it will eventually reach the same temp as the surrounding ambient. A better insulated sleeve should prolong that effect though, good luck.

7. brom macrumors newbie

waterfield sleeves are the best

sfbags.com

have had 3 of them now. my sleeve for my 12" powerbook g4 bought about 7 years ago still looks brand new. Be sure to get the flap so that the whole computer is totally enclosed. can't go wrong w/these.