Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I was debating with other people over if iOS 9 really bad. Granted that iOS 9 is slower than iOS 8, but it really isn't so bad. I used the bar minimum iPad 4. iOS 9 is terrible with any A5 devices, so iPad 4 is bar minimum for iOS 9 actually have OK performance.

Here are some videos:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was debating with other people over if iOS 9 really bad. Granted that iOS 9 is slower than iOS 8, but it really isn't so bad. I used the bar minimum iPad 4. iOS 9 is terrible with any A5 devices, so iPad 4 is bar minimum for iOS 9 actually have OK performance.

Here are some videos:

There is really not much of a difference between iOS 8 and 9 at least on an iPad 2 in terms of user experience for speed. My be different for other devices: I have 2 iPhone 5s and and i6 and they are basically the same as well.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
I waited until 9.2 to upgrade, the speed/lag differences are minimal and I like the UI upgrades on 9 vs 8.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
That looks way faster than my iPad mini 1. Why do you say iPad 4 is bar minimum?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
The iPad 4 isn't a horrible device. The iPad 2 and mini are horrible devices because of their age. However, if I would have just left my iPad mini on iOS 6 or maybe even 7, it would still be able to keep up with the latest iPads.

I've noticed something about Apple. Their hardware never really gets faster because they release more bloated software that requires faster hardware in order to perform just as good as older hardware on their original software. Find an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 on it and compare it to a 6s. They're just as fast as each other, yet the iPhone 6s hardware is way better and has a LOT more RAM.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You're funny. The iPad 4 isn't a horrible device. The iPad 2 and mini are horrible devices because of their age. However, if I would have just left my iPad mini on iOS 6 or maybe even 7, it would still be able to keep up with the latest iPads.

I've noticed something about Apple. Their hardware never really gets faster because they release more bloated software that requires faster hardware in order to perform just as good as older hardware on their original software. Find an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 on it and compare it to a 6s. They're just as fast as each other, yet the iPhone 6s hardware is way better and has a LOT more RAM.
The definition of "fast" needs clarification. Your definition is how quickly an app opens. Mine is how quickly I can edit a movie; or render a complex page in safari.

While an app may not open as quickly on the 6s vs the 5, the screen redraw time is faster and as a result, it takes less end to end time to get the "result" on a 6s.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Here are some videos:

What did I take from this, sadly?

You watch Glass Reflection too? :D

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yes...i like his anime review... but his review always late.. i mean i already watched most of anime he reviewed

Yeah. I'm so far behind that it works for me. Sadly my job gets in the way of anime. On the upside, my job pays me money that I use to watch anime.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The definition of "fast" needs clarification. Your definition is how quickly an app opens. Mine is how quickly I can edit a movie; or render a complex page in safari.

While an app may not open as quickly on the 6s vs the 5, the screen redraw time is faster and as a result, it takes less end to end time to get the "result" on a 6s.

Why differentiate? I want both; fast to open and fast to run. :D

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Realize you're comparing a modern day OS on a device that is over 3 years old now. iPad 4 was released in Nov. 2012; its 2016 now.

There is going to be a LITTLE slowness on the newer OS as it's optimized for all of the newer hardware first. Running on older hardware is only a matter of being compatible to run on it, not necessarily optimized.

But I'm sure the lag trolls will say how earth shattering that 1/00th second stutter is and how you should be outraged at Apple spending all day online complaining about lag too.

Last edited:

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014

Agreed. Also iOS animations runs the same on all devices. Some devices may stutter more than others. But the time it takes for the animation to start and finish is usually the same. Apple needs to just make the animation faster for there to be a difference. But that's another question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.