Well, it's Apple's fault.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pedromcm.pm, Nov 30, 2014.

1. pedromcm.pm macrumors 6502

It's a shame that we came to this, Apple:

How is your charger holding up? The Charger is great, but the cable is so weak. There's no excuse. And they cost more than a HP streamer 7.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My cables are fine, I have lightening cables from when they came out, problem free and my Mag safe cord for my 2012 MBP is problem free as well and I travel fairly often.

3. pedromcm.pm thread starter macrumors 6502

On my MBAir they started ******** themselves fairly early (1 year). Maybe in the beginning (it was my first apple product) I wasn't placing them like I should, but it never happened to me to have some cables disintegrate like that.

Now they are covered in tape.

And the prices? What is the margin, there? 5 million %?

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I bought a replacement for the 2010 white MacBook that is no longer living a few years ago. About two years in, the cord started to fray right where it connects to the plug. I just put some electrical tape on it and kept on using it. Now that that MacBook met it's death one day when I threw it across the room, I use it on my 2008 black MacBook.

5. Attonine macrumors 6502a

On my 2009 MBP, the original charger was replaced under the exchange programme because the magsafe end frayed. Just last week I had to buy a new charger because the magsafe end of the replacement frayed so badly it broke off!

Just one of those things. This is a 5 year old machine and this is the only problem I've had to pay for. Annoying, yes, but in the scheme of things I don't think I've done too badly.

And yes, the chargers are expensive. Very expensive!

6. pedromcm.pm thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the weak spot. There's no excuse, not to mention the exorbitant price.
    Yes, my MBAir is the best machine in the world, but the charger is one of those things responsible for that press. No excuse at all.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All I can comment is my personal experience and so far, my 2012 rMBP's cables are going strong.

I also have a 2010 MBP and its cable is in just as good shape. In fact, I'm rather surprised at how well its holding up, because that's my kid's laptop and I think they're a bit harder on the computer then I ever was.

8. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I have a late 2009 MBP and my cables are doing great. No fraying even a little.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Seriously what are you doing to your magsafe connectors? I have a Mid-2009 macbook pro, that is still using it's original power supply and at times I'll even slap on the magsafe to Magsafe2 adapter and use it on my MBA and my wife's rMBP. Dang thing is almost 5.5 years old and still works and doesn't show any fraying....

I also still have another magSafe from 2011 and two from 2013. No issues. I'm very careful when I "wind them up"....

10. trainman macrumors newbie

I have 2 second gen. iPods, 1 fourth gen iPod, iPads 1 & 3, iPhone 5, 2008 MacBook and mid 2010 MacBook Pro and have never had any cable failures. In fact a cable from an iPod second gen. is yellowed and dirty but keeps working very night for iPad charging.

11. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Remember, the original magsafe's (so your 2009 model) were in a recall, there was a design fault. I guess you've been lucky.

12. theluggage macrumors 68030

I work with half-a-dozen other mac users, and if the complaints here reflected the typical failure rate I'd be ordering a new power supply every month. As it is, I don't think I've ever seen a frayed magsafe. I had far more problems with the "banana plugs" on old-school Macs and other brands of laptop (and with those, it was often the connector in the machine that got hosed).

There has to be some other factor here, such as environmental (bright sunshine? low/high humidity? air conditioning?), duff batches or different manufacturing processes.

Or, perhaps its just the amplifying effect of the internet: out of all the millions of people with macs, a handful will be dealt an improbably duff hand by the laws of chance and post about it on the internet.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

many cables no issues

I have had 2 macbook pros 2 ipads and 3 iphones in the last 4 years and had not a single problem with any of my cables and power cords...

14. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Many cables, ALL have issues

Whether my 3 MacBooks, or my 2 iPads... they all have died several times over.

15. moderniste macrumors member

My macbook and iphone cables need replacing after a year or so.

I was very surprised to see that I need to replace my ipad cable as well. It only connects to the dock, which doesn't get moved. I don't even use the ipad very much, it's been sitting there untouched for months, but now the cable is shredded to pieces in many spots.

I do live in a humid subtropical climate. It seems like the cable casings just rot somehow. I've had better luck with the Amazon Basics cables, which are Apple certified.

16. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

My father gave me his old 2006 MacBook a year ago. It had its original power supply too, with the power cord in mint shape, a little dirty but no fraying. The dog chewed on the power brick, but that's besides the point.

Having personally owned Apple products for about 5 years, I have only replaced 1 Lightning Cable and 2 30-pin adapters for slight fraying issues. They were replaced under warranty too BTW, so no out of pocket cost. Never had a computer power cord replaced for fraying.

17. iMacC2D, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017