Well, my iPhone died

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amro, Oct 16, 2008.

1. amro macrumors 6502

So, I was with friends taking pictures with it when I got a message that said "Repair Needed iPhone cannot make or receive calls. www.apple.com/support". The phone then rebooted and hung at the apple logo.

The home and power button push reset the phone, but the phone comes up in emergency mode. At one point, I thought I saw that the IMEI number was 0 or unknown.

I took a picture, but when I click manage attachments nothing happens.

Time to see what I can do with iTunes.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The hardboot didn't work and if restore doesn't work, then its off to the Apple Store for that one...:(

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Man, that sucks. Is it a first gen or a 3G? Was it Jailbroken?

4. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a 3G. Got the first one 2 days after d-day. That one had a stuck pixel, and the next one had a bad home button. This is the third one and has been performing flawlessly.

I'm trying a restore now to see if that helps. If not, it's off to the Apple store.

No worry. I still love this phone. It has really been one of the best toys I've bought in a long time, and I buy lots of toys. I've used just about every different kind of phone out there, and this thing is just so friggin easy to use and fun to play with. Plus, I'm one of the few who never had MobileMe problems, and push for both Gmail via MobileMe and Yahoo!Mail have always performed flawlessly.

5. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: iTunes reports:
    The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1010).
    Wonder what error code A is?

Might try one more time, but I doubt it will help.

Oh well, off to the Apple store tomorrow. It's been a few months now. Hope I can get an exchange. I know it will be a refurbished one, but I'm ok with that as long as it looks new and works.

6. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

So, the Genius guy and his buddy tried everything, even going back to 2.0. Nothing worked, so I had to get a new one.

My new serial number is: 5K8403C9....

Got to figure out when this was made.

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

well at least they gave you a "new" iPhone but yeah i'd be curious of the date as well. hope it works out for you! what a scare.

8. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

was made in week 40 2008