Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
I saw this today and it really pissed me off.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/02/why-not-to-buy-an-ipad-ph_n_523619.html

1- It may be obsolete soon.
Yeah No s**t. Name me any new technology that isn't going to be obsolete soon. It's still amazing, and it made any new tablet or netbook coming out obsolete.

2- You've Got A laptop and smartphone, so you don't need it- See the iPad announcement keynote.

3- Its price.
Yes it's more expensive than any netbook, but that's because netbooks really suck, and the iPad really doesn't.

4- First generation devices can be buggy.
The iPad has been in development for years, and my iPad hasn't bugged once. Apple's design is and always has been amazing, and anyone who knows anything about Apple knows they aren't going to release a buggy piece of crap just to make a buck, like any other computer company.

5- It's only on AT&T.
Actually you can't only get 3G on AT&T. It's unlocked, and they said that in the keynote. Some jerkoff at Huffington Post didn't do their fact checking.

6- No Flash.
Ooh the HP Slate is gonna have Flash! I'm gonna have to trade in my incredibly reliable iPad for Flash! They criticize AT&T for being known as a shoddy cellular network, but they neglect to criticize Adobe Flash for being notoriously poorly programmed and unreliable. And that's why Apple doesn't want Flash on their devices.

7- It's a heavy eReader.
It may be heavier than the Kindle, but the Kindle can't play music, watch movies, browse the world wide web very quickly, play amazing games, check email, and the Kindle doesn't offer an amazing experience like the iPad. Also, if people think that 1.5 pounds is too heavy, they should save that money they'd spend and buy a home gym to beef up their arms a bit.

8- No multitasking.
This is the only logical and legitimate point they've made so far. Multitasking is a relatively new concept for these devices, and we know Apple is already working on it in 4.0. The no multitasking isn't reason enough not to buy one, especially since we know multitasking is coming soon.

9- No camera.
I was disappointed when I saw this while watching engadget's coverage of the announcement. No mention of a camera, kind of bummed me out. And yet I still got one, and i still love it even in a camera's absence.

Buy an HP slate. In fact, buy the second gen HP Slate because 1st gen devices suck. Or buy a netbook, they are really cheap and hey, the can multitask, while overall running 3 or 4x as slow as the iPad. And buy a Kindle, they are 14 oz. less than an iPad. Or just take your heavy laptop, and too slow to do a ton of things small smartphone and be on your way, as long as that smart phone isn't on AT&T.

I mean seriously. Just look at the iPad, and all the amazing things it can do and just appreciate it.

TNSF

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
I saw this today and it really pissed me off.

This type of article is often written by lame journalists who are just trying to get some attention. Let it go and know that your iPad is awesome and people who buy PC slates will all be jealous.

Serenity now.

I like this quote from the article:

First-generation Apple products are for suckers. Only lemmings with no self-control and excessive disposable income buy first generation Apple products, especially in a new gadget category. When they do, they pay the double the price for immature hardware and software.

I am very happy to be labelled someone with "excessive disposable income" thank-you very much :)

Westin

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
"Users won't be able to view video on sites that run Flash, including Hulu, Disney, and ESPN."

WTF?!?! I can't watch disney on my ipad?!?! Psh, im returning this garbage.

LOL.

beachnbum

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Cape Fear
Well, yes.

However, the article is not written for us, who know a couple of things about tech in general, and Apple tech in particular.

The article is FUD for the general public. It is meant to keep that potential iPad consumer with $500+ from spending it on and iPad today. And to put into that person's mind the idea that he shouldn't wasted the money, and wait for that other vaporware of crapware netbook to jump off the shelf and onto his credit card.

The less initial sales of iPad, the more the naysayers will be able to crow "It is NOT a hit." And, conversely, "It is a flop." Or, "It's just not for YOU."

It is a way to depress sales; with the hope that the consumer will loosen the wallet for some Courier to come.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
It may be obsolete soon is still considered a reason not to buy a device?

Considering technology is quickly becoming like a car, it's value slashed as soon as it's used once, any product is obsolete within months. iPhone sales are the same. Everything gets refreshed so often these days if you are going to use that as an excuse then you'll never buy anything.

traylorc

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Everyone is entitled to their opinion....including whoever wrote that article.

But as long as you enjoy your Ipad who gives a *&^% what some reporter for the Huffington Post says?

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
3- Its price.
Yes it's more expensive than any netbook, but that's because netbooks really suck, and the iPad really doesn't.
BS and iPad 3G should be price of non 3G version. Typical Apple overpricing

6- No Flash.
Ooh the HP Slate is gonna have Flash! I'm gonna have to trade in my incredibly reliable iPad for Flash! They criticize AT&T for being known as a shoddy cellular network, but they neglect to criticize Adobe Flash for being notoriously poorly programmed and unreliable. And that's why Apple doesn't want Flash on their devices.
blahblahblah This sucks we cant get flash.

7- It's a heavy eReader.
It may be heavier than the Kindle, but the Kindle can't play music, watch movies, browse the world wide web very quickly, play amazing games, check email, and the Kindle doesn't offer an amazing experience like the iPad. Also, if people think that 1.5 pounds is too heavy, they should save that money they'd spend and buy a home gym to beef up their arms a bit.

*yawn* Kindle is a one function device and does it well.
Buy an HP slate. In fact, buy the second gen HP Slate because 1st gen devices suck. Or buy a netbook, they are really cheap and hey, the can multitask, while overall running 3 or 4x as slow as the iPad. And buy a Kindle, they are 14 oz. less than an iPad. Or just take your heavy laptop, and too slow to do a ton of things small smartphone and be on your way, as long as that smart phone isn't on AT&T.

I mean seriously. Just look at the iPad, and all the amazing things it can do and just appreciate it.

Netbooks multitask and surf the web much faster than iPad. Anyone who says different is ignorant. The beauty of iPad is in the instant on, great surfing experience. But its not faster, although it probably is better. I dont know why various members of this community need to tear down other things to make themselves feel better. Oh and as far as appreciating the ipad you are the one who posted the inflammatory article, and somehow need the self assurance of the mr community

TNSF

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
vw195 said:
Netbooks multitask and surf the web much faster than iPad. Anyone who says different is ignorant. The beauty of iPad is in the instant on, great surfing experience. But its not faster, although it probably is better. I dont know why various members of this community need to tear down other things to make themselves feel better. Oh and as far as appreciating the ipad you are the one who posted the inflammatory article, and somehow need the self assurance of the mr community

Surfing the web on a netbook is an awful experience. Nobody surfs on a netbook because it offers a good experience. Netbooks exist because people want a device smaller and cheaper than a laptop. Netbooks exist because nobody has come up with a better alternative. Until now :)

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Surfing the web on a netbook is an awful experience. Nobody surfs on a netbook because it offers a good experience. Netbooks exist because people want a device smaller and cheaper than a laptop. Netbooks exist because nobody has come up with a better alternative. Until now :)

heh I disagree with the awful experience, but did say iPad offers a better experience. Oh and netbokos still have a place., if only to sync the ipad :)

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Huffington Post has been, historically, anti-Apple. They also are also, historically, inaccurate. They employ idiots who just graduated from high school.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I guess you've never used a netbook or an iPad.

Ive actually got both..well I got rid of my ipad wifi to get a 3g version.

Try Chrome on a netbook and report back. Itll wax iPad safari. Thanks for playing

Westin

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
"Users won't be able to view video on sites that run Flash, including Hulu, Disney, and ESPN."

WTF?!?! I can't watch disney on my ipad?!?! Psh, im returning this garbage.

LOL.

Can we get back to the main problem here guys....

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Netbooks multitask and surf the web much faster than iPad. Anyone who says different is ignorant.

No you're clearly the ignorant one. I've used many, many netbooks running Win XP, 7, OS X, Ubuntu, and Chrome. None of them are even close to the speed of the iPad.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Ive actually got both..well I got rid of my ipad wifi to get a 3g version.

Try Chrome on a netbook and report back. Itll wax iPad safari. Thanks for playing

Chrome OS is fast, not as fast as an iPad. Also there is one big drawback to Chrome.

Its a nothing more than a web browser running on a lightweight linux install.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
No you're clearly the ignorant one. I've used many, many netbooks running Win XP, 7, OS X, Ubuntu, and Chrome. None of them are even close to the speed of the iPad.

Dude, I can open 5 forum topics in chrome middle click in the time it takes to open 1 in the background on the ipad. Not to mention switching between tabs. i love the ipad for the experience and think it can replace the netbook for alot of things including surfing (esp. because of instant on), but on the flip side I dont live in a fantasy world

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Like it or not, like someone above stated, most of those points are legitimate shortcomings. Does it mean you can't enjoy the device? Didn't think so.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Well, yes.
The article is FUD for the general public. It is meant to keep that potential iPad consumer with $500+ from spending it on and iPad today. And to put into that person's mind the idea that he shouldn't wasted the money, and wait for that other vaporware of crapware netbook to jump off the shelf and onto his credit card.

The less initial sales of iPad, the more the naysayers will be able to crow "It is NOT a hit." And, conversely, "It is a flop." Or, "It's just not for YOU."
The iPad is *already* a hit despite the intent and tone of articles like this. And it will continue to gain momentum. Pull one out and people ooh and ahh over it. It's beautiful and stunning to see and use in person.

Case in point: I was at a dinner tonight with a group of skeptics and naysayers who couldn't understand why they would need or want an iPad. After a few minutes playing with one, they all were ready to break out their CCs. Interestingly, they all had different use cases.

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Huffington Post is just ridiculous. You shouldn't even grace the website with your virtual presence. Seriously - don't worry about what they say. They're a bunch of loons, and most people know that. The ones who don't are just too stupid to worry about anyways.

Netbooks multitask and surf the web much faster than iPad. Anyone who says different is ignorant.

Well, all I know is I disagree. I bought a new Dell Inspiron Mini last month. I have not put a single program on it. I just needed IE with ActiveX, and cheaply... so I bought that for $300. It's the WORST computer I've ever used.... and all I do is browse to ONE website (my CCTV remote login site). The computer is slower than molasses. I don't know what kind of a netbook you have, but all the ones I've played with are junk. Unfortunately, the makers of my DVR for my security cams INSIST on using ActiveX, and I do not wish to install windows on my MBP so I had to buy it.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Well, all I know is I disagree. I bought a new Dell Inspiron Mini last month. I have not put a single program on it. I just needed IE with ActiveX, and cheaply... so I bought that for $300. It's the WORST computer I've ever used....

Heh This isnt directed soley at you but I have never read such vehemence toward netbooks as i have at mr. Its really strange. Ive had a total of 4 netbooks (Asus EEE701,900, Aspire One, AsusEEE1005ha) in the last 2 years and have had 0 problems and they have been fast enough. The 701s screen was a little rough, but it was really cool, but I digress. I visit a lot of forums but only this one seems to think that netbooks are junk, but to each his own.

I am a past (and future) owner of an ipad and realize that the ipad stands on its own. I cant wait to get another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.