Well, thanks for making it abundantly clear.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMacZealot, Dec 2, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My dad has some short bursts of capitalistic mania every now and then, and today he suddenly bought a 2.4 15" MacBook Pro for himself. Perhaps because he's having surgery tomorrow, but it seems a bit abrupt anyways.

So, the Apple store guy brings it out of the back, and I see the Tiger Aqua Blue on the box. I asked him if it had Leopard on it, and he said no, but there's the install disk that we'll put in.

So, we take it home, and I take the Leopard disk out of the envelope, and there's a note in it. There's a big paragraph about how our new Mac didn't have Leopard when it left the factory, blah blah blah, and then there are these two steps:

1. Insert the disk into your Mac.

2. Double click the "Mac OS X Installer" icon and press Restart.

So, I naturally assumed that this implied that you start up and set up your new Mac in Tiger, as the aforementioned steps imply that there's a Finder window involved. I put the disk in after setting up Tiger, and I double click the icon in the Finder window, and I restart, and it instantly spits out the disk and then sits on a grey screen for about a minute before booting into Tiger. I try it again and again, and the disk isn't recognised. I finally inserted it and booted the computer using the C key, and it spits it out again.

I already have a copy of Leopard, so I'm just going to use that.

I just wish they wrote their instructions better. I'm lucky I already have a copy for him.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

their instructions were fine it sounds like you just got a bad disk. I got a Mac Mini with the drop in DVD and I set it up in Tiger and then did the same as you did and it installed fine.

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

How did you get your disk to work?

4. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

try restarting with the leopard dvd in and hold down option when the screen goes black, then pick the leopard dvd and do an upgrade install or archive/install.

...that should work

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Isn't that the equivalent of starting up while pressing the C key in a sense?

That didn't work.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just did the same as you did which is why I think you got a bad disk. you could probably call Apple and get a new disk, but since you have your own copy I would not bother with trying to get a new one and just use your copy.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

it's similar. pressing 'c' boots directly from the optical drive, pressing 'option' or 'alt' (in the uk) shows the available boot devices, e.g. main drive, optical drive, and any firewire/usb2 drives with an install of MacOS on them. you click the one you want. sorted.