Well...that didnt last long

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RolledUp20s, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

I jailbroke my 4S monday night. Was loving all the things i could do with it, being a first time jailbreaker :)

Then, after United losing i grab my iPhone and start tweeking to make myself feel better. I noticed a few apps missbehaving, randomly changes angle etc. so went to winterboard, deselected theme but respring wasnt working. So went to cydia and removed theme package. ...still there, ok. I deleted winterboard. And then finally it went to respring...respring....respring? :confused: oh dear... Spinning circle...no response. Without thinking i plugged it straight in to my mac, opened itunes and luckily it was still detected. Hit restore and waited anxiously as it went through the motions. Itunes was running nicely but still that circle was spinning. Anyway...glad to say she made a full recovery and the JB has been killed and pissed on. ...so, i guess steve was right. :apple: you are my master and i will not cheat on you again. I hope you can forgive me.

I guess this may come in handy for some of you who experience the spinning wheel of death :p

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you search, it will give you ton of thread on this topic. All you have to do is to put your phone in DFU mode first, then Itunes will let you restore it to the latest firmware.

3. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

I just plugged it in my mac with spinning circles & did a full restore. So its ok now. Its whether i JB again....fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice? Ill butt **** your iphone so hard it will wish it had stayed in china. ...or something like that :D

4. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I found the problem.

5. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

...but it fixed it.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Don't blame it on the jailbreak. Blame yourself for not knowing what you're doing.

In my 3 years of jailbreaking idevices, what you experienced hasn't happened to me.

7. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

How would you delete a package then? ...is going into cydia app, packages and deleting the package not correct?

8. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Winterboard is the cause of most of the problem

9. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Yeah that's the right way to do it. Uninstall from cydia. If the phone can't respring, then it usually crashes to safe mode. Did that happen? If it didn't, did you try a hard reset? Or even just a power cycle? Before going back to restore I think the last thing I would try is to plug my phone into the computer and use something like iFunbox to let me view the raw file system of the phone. If I see that there is still a leftover folder from the problematic package then I would delete those files and try to power cycle the phone again to see if it makes a difference. In the end if there was really nothing else to do, I would restore but I would definitely keep my jailbreak. I've never had the specific problem that you're describing either. Usually resprings, power cycles, or hard resets at least you get back into safe mode where you can clean things up and disable themes and uninstall packages.

Chalk it up to one fluke experience and don't give up on jailbreaking. In the end the phone is as it was before. It's really hard to permanently ruin the phone.

10. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't being funny..thanks for your feedback.
    Ye i tried power cycle, iphone just had no response at all. Plugged into mac - didnt show up anywhere but itunes. Im glad in a way that i was able to restore from itunes this way. It was a little niggle in the back of head i had,would i be able to restore it? ..well, now i know.

And...

Going back to my stock 4S after experiencing a JB was like the time i shagged Claudia Lynx and then let her walk away. Sex just aint the same anymore..
    iPhone is strapped up & ready to go back in :D

11. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Ummmm... you needlessly went too far I think with this problem! First of all,... did you have SBSettings installed? If you did... it would likely have just repsringed into safe mode, allowing you to delete what you needed to. I ALWAYS install SBSettings first!

Second, I have had a few items cause respring to just hang.... usually I just hold down power and home until it does a hard reboot. That usually solves the hang allowing it reboot fully again. If there is still an issue, then it just goes into safe mode.

Nothing is ever that complicated with this! And 99% of the time you won't need a restore to fix it either! I don't think I have ever had to restore because of a JB app! Usually the above 2 things save me!

12. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, :) well...im new to JB & may have panicked a little. But its scary when ya think that £500 phone you Bought a few months ago is going haywire.

Ive just JB it again. I had purchased 3G unrestrictor - will i get that again for free now?

Also, ye i had SBS ...just kept spinning

13. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

operator error. hate when people just don't blame themselves. jailbreaking is the best thing ever for the iphone IMO. but just like anything in life, you have to learn what your doing, and i can speak for a lot of us here...it was a lot at first (tons of restores) to finally get you where you need to be to fully appreciate it!

14. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Only install what is really necessary. Skip all the crap that suck up resources because they constantly run in the background.

I only jailbreak for SbSettings, 3G Unrestrictor and a handful of others. I never cared for "themes" much.

My brother on the other hand overloads his with a bunch of junk. The difference is like night and day. His is so slow and sluggish, his battery drains quicker as a result but he doesn't care because "hey, look at my icons! Wow." :rolleyes:

15. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Makes sense. Is there a way to DISABLE apps/tweaks instead of completely removing them from Cydia?

16. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

With some of them you can toggle them on/off but they will remain installed. Same goes for themes/Winterboard.

17. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

This was the real problem........