Well, That didn't last long....

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
As the proud owner of a new Intel MacBook ( Black ), for a couple of months now, I had to take it back for repair....

Turns out that the MacBooks have a problem where they just cut off for no reason... A better explanation would be that the logic board is defective, and so are many, many others.

I took the MacBook into the local Apple Store on Sunday. Immediatly, it was diagnosed as a bad logic board, I was informed that the store usually stocks them, and replaces them on-site. I was also informed that they are out of stock until Aug. 26th....

Is this a bad thing???

My MacBook has been mailed back to Apple, as it is expected that they will be able to repair and return the laptop before the local store gets more stock of logicboards...


Question... Does anyone here remember the Chevy Vega, and the story where they actually kept a large stock of engines at the dealers as the engine turned out to be in need of replacement with just about every oil change..

Did I buy an Apple Vega????

This is a little concerning...

Max....
 

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
183
0
amsterdam
It's an Intel motherboard, and Intel has been building motherboards for PC for years and years, they know how to do it.
I am sure they will make a revision that is good. But damn, I have a Macbook here too.......
 

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
4,940
0
Dress Rosa
It's not a logicboard problem. Everyone whose had a logicboard replacement has had the problem come back IIRC. The most successful fixes are Heat Assembly/Sink related.

I wonder if it has something to do with thermal paste issues...
 

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
erikamsterdam said:
It's an Intel motherboard, and Intel has been building motherboards for PC for years and years, they know how to do it.
I am sure they will make a revision that is good. But damn, I have a Macbook here too.......

GM had been making cars for more than 50 years when they produced the Vega...

Lemon designs happen...

Still, I reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy like my MacBook, and I hope they actually FIX the problem.

Max.
 

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
3,996
263
Denmark
Why cry about something that may turn out not to be a problem?

We only hear from the bad side of the Apple (pun) and not from the hundred of thousands happy users with no issues what-so-ever.
 

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
209
0
IGH, MN
maxvamp said:
GM had been making cars for more than 50 years when they produced the Vega...
*not computer related*

Vega motors were one of the first aluminum block designs to roll off an assembly line on american cars. One of the big issues was the fact that the cylinders wore out incredibly quick due to a lack of hardening on them. The biggest and best fix there was on this was to install cast iron sleeves into the block. Once that was done, problem was actually gone and the motor turned out incredibly dependable.

This was also only a problem on the first run of the motor, OR.. when people abused the engine or did not maintain it....

My vega, on the other hand, runs like a charm... could have something to do with the 327 motor that got put in along with the powerglide.. or the new rear end..... or ... well, suffice it to say, at least the BODY of the car is original :) And yes, its a daily driver :) I especially love getting next to newer era 'muscle' cars :)
 

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
CyberPrey said:
*not computer related*

Vega motors were one of the first aluminum block designs to roll off an assembly line on american cars. One of the big issues was the fact that the cylinders wore out incredibly quick due to a lack of hardening on them. The biggest and best fix there was on this was to install cast iron sleeves into the block. Once that was done, problem was actually gone and the motor turned out incredibly dependable.

This was also only a problem on the first run of the motor, OR.. when people abused the engine or did not maintain it....

My vega, on the other hand, runs like a charm... could have something to do with the 327 motor that got put in along with the powerglide.. or the new rear end..... or ... well, suffice it to say, at least the BODY of the car is original :) And yes, its a daily driver :) I especially love getting next to newer era 'muscle' cars :)

SVEET..

Actually, I do remember the story of the Vega.., and yes you are right..

In one respect, these two are very analogous.. They are both first gen, and something has not hardened. Design flaws will get worked out, but I doubt a cast iron sleeve for the MacBook will solve the problem.

As far as a 327, believe it or not, the Camaro has the original 250 in it, and it will most likely stay that way.
Now, My daughter's 66 Nova has a 283, and it is sooooo tempting to turn into a 327... but I won't. She is 16.

Max.
 

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
492
0
Pressure said:
Why cry about something that may turn out not to be a problem?

We only hear from the bad side of the Apple (pun) and not from the hundred of thousands happy users with no issues what-so-ever.
So what?
 

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
Pressure said:
Why cry about something that may turn out not to be a problem?

We only hear from the bad side of the Apple (pun) and not from the hundred of thousands happy users with no issues what-so-ever.
No Cry..comment.. Also, I don't think this is isolated. There are reports of this on the internets <grin> and YouTube actually has a video of someone's MacBook doing this. Furthermore, the apple store admitted they see a LOT of MacBooks with this problem.

Max.
 

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
3,996
263
Denmark
maxvamp said:
No Cry..comment.. Also, I don't think this is isolated. There are reports of this on the internets <grin> and YouTube actually has a video of someone's MacBook doing this. Furthermore, the apple store admitted they see a LOT of MacBooks with this problem.

Max.
I think you will see the exact number of affected notebooks that a certain AppleStore admitted being a far cry from the numbers shipped. Period.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true . . .
 

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
Pressure said:
I think you will see the exact number of affected notebooks that a certain AppleStore admitted being a far cry from the numbers shipped. Period.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true . . .
I'll take both off your comments to heart...just in reverse order...


<grin>

Max.
 

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
137
0
Pressure said:
I think you will see the exact number of affected notebooks that a certain AppleStore admitted being a far cry from the numbers shipped. Period.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true . . .
Well...It's more than anecdotal because my local Apple dealer showed me the shelf full of customers' Macbooks waiting for repair when I dropped my Macbook off for it's second logic board replacement. Trying to browbeat those who complain about their substandard Macbooks into submission is wrong. Period. I'm a long time Apple customer and this experience does not make me feel warm and fuzzy toward Apple. I may be in the minority but I will still have to consider my next Apple purchase carefully.
 

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
History

One of the biggest Quality Asurance SNAFUs in technology was the introduction of the DiscoVision LaserDisc line of products. People quickly figured out that they were really likely to get a defective disc, and in turn, kinda put people off of video discs for a long time.

Now, this was not the only reason this format never really took off. It did not have widespread support of the production companies, the hardware was flakey, and VideoTape could record... BUT..

The media did play into the equation, however, and once the media became stable, the format started to grow.

Question for the day... What was the defect rate of the media???

Answer: 25%.

Seventy-Five percent of the discs sold were good. However, people encountered this issue, and made enough noise about the problem that it actually contributed to impedeing a new and growing industry.

The point I am trying to make is that it does not have to be anywhere near a majority of units that are defective to give a product line, or even a company a black eye. It just has to happen to **enough** people.


Max.
 

lcseds

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
995
790
NC, USA
*Wait a minute*. Just to keep this topic on topic, I swear, and I was old enough at the time, that the problem with the Vega was an iron block mated to aluminum heads. The dissimilar metals, plus the intense heat of the cast block made the heads warp. I don't recall sleeves in the cylinders as a fix, but switching back to cast iron heads. I may be wrong as I had a Maverick, which was way cooler anyway. :D
 

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
lcseds said:
*Wait a minute*. Just to keep this topic on topic, I swear, and I was old enough at the time, that the problem with the Vega was an iron block mated to aluminum heads. The dissimilar metals, plus the intense heat of the cast block made the heads warp. I don't recall sleeves in the cylinders as a fix, but switching back to cast iron heads. I may be wrong as I had a Maverick, which was way cooler anyway. :D

That may have been the cosworth Vega ( original 4 valve beast ).

The stock Vega, and Monza for that matter did have a 4 cyl. all alum. engine. The coolant would eat through the water jacket, into the cyl. What a mess.

The iron/alum mix was a problem for GM, as well as many others for even longer, and the problem was not a easy fix.

In fact, I had an 89 olds Calais Int. with a HO Quad 4 that ate two head gaskets due to the iron/alum mix.

Sometime in the 90s, companies seemed to have fixed the problem. They may have just gone all alum for all I know. Right now, I have all iron.

2003 TDi Jetta ( BioDiesel RULZ ), 1998 Chevy Blazer, 1969 Camaro, and a 1966 Nova.

The best part is.... This week I will have Lots Of TIme TO WORK ON THEM AS MY MACBOOK IS DEAD!!!!!!!!


Max.
 

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
137
0
Max:

There's no doubt in my mind, since I'm waiting for my second logic board repair, that this is a real problem but I don't believe the failure rate is anywhere near 25%. I'm sure Apple won't be divulging that number in any report! The true failure rate might only be a couple of percent - who knows?
 

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
3,265
0
Bookshop!
i had the same problem (with my MacBook, not with my Vega :p), and i got it repaired, and i havent had a problem since. Good luck with yours.
 

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
600
0
Somewhere out there
Update

I could not backup my data when this problem began.

I took it to the local apple store, and they removed the Hard Drive, and sent it in without the drive.

Apple called this morning to tell me they would not repair the MacBook until the drive was back in it.

They did admit it was a logic board problem.

This Sux!!!

Max.
 

arcsbite

Guest
Jan 14, 2006
749
0
I've had my blackbook since the end of June, so far it's been fantastic (well, hardware wise)

I do worry that there may be an issue, but this can happen with any machine.
I ensure my HDD is fully backed up and that I have either my warranty..or when that's coming to an end Applecare, then I know I'm always covered.

that or i'll sell it 11 and a half months after owning ;)