Well that's annoying

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by someone28624, Nov 1, 2010.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm really loving my iPhone so far. It has tons of great features. I am enjoying it more and more each day as I learn more.

However, yesterday I was going to watch a movie in bed. I wanted to throw the new screen lock on for the first time. Imagine my surprise when you can only lock to portrait mode. WTF?

Given how well Apple typically designs things this just surprises me.

Googling, it looks like you can fix it with a jail break (but I'm too nervous to do that) but not otherwise. Guess we'll hope for a software upgrade.

2. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Yea, it's pretty dumb, oh well :(.

3. HeezyBear macrumors regular

They did it that way because 99% (I made that number up, but basically I mean most) of apps are capable of running in portrait mode, while not as many are capable of running in landscape. For example, I'm sure almost all of the apps you have on your phone run in portrait, but not all can run in landscape. So having a landscape lock would be seemingly pointless because eventually you'd have to revert back to portrait. I'm guessing that was their thinking, but I do agree it'd be nice to have. Developers also do have the choice to offer such a landscape lock in their own individual app, though.

4. zephxiii macrumors 6502

What? Who cares what apps run in. All they had to do was make so that it would lock to whatever mode you were in, when you locked it. That is way better than locking it to portrait even though you were in landscape, which is dumb.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It is a bit dumb, particularly when the iPad does have a proper orientation lock...

6. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Right. But if you lock it when you're in landscape in one app and then switch to the home screen or another app that doesn't support landscape, then what? It would revert back to portrait and it wouldn't really be much of a lock. I'm not saying it's the best way of doing things, but that I think that's their logic. ALSO, app developers have the option to create a landscape lock for their apps if they choose to. Maybe recommend that to the developer.

7. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

not really a big deal, I actually prefer it this way anyways since I can unlock my phone without looking at the phone

8. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't think of that. I was in the Youtube app.