Well thats stupid...iPod Touch earphones...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FatGuy007, Oct 13, 2012.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I know its a small thing to get pissed off about, but how come the iPhone 5 (a phone) gets a earphone's with the better casing and a mic, while the iPT (a mp3 player) get's earphones with foam casing and a cheaper version with no mic. Ik this has been happening for years, but I mainly use the mic and buttons for everything, playing music, shuffle, stop, fast forward. I sound like an idiot saying this but the phone gets a mic only because phone calls? we use it for music to.
    I know the mic is meant for phone calling, but it would be better if both had mics and buttons.

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Very simple solution for you: take yourself to your nearest Walmart, and buy yourself some.

There - problem solved.

3. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

I agree with you 100%. The new iPod even has Siri built into it.
    But that's Apple for you.

4. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I think Apple was cheap in giving the new touch lesser EarPods. Heck, the 64gb touch is $399! They should have done better by us.

5. Ozonekill macrumors newbie

They certainly cut corners with the ipod touch :(

6. iEvolution macrumors 65816

The remote makes perfect sense for the touch since it doesnt have easily accessible buttons for a music player.

I agree but Apple has been short siding the ipod line for a couple of years now.

7. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Not only did they cut corners, they cut the price $500.

8. cnev3 macrumors 6502

How come? Because the iPhone is $750, not $299.

9. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

The iPhone isn't a 750 dollar product. It's only sold at that price to discourage people from going no-contract.

10. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Agree. In reality iPhone 5's cost production is probably something 50$ more than iPod touch 5's cost production.

As for the earpods, it's well known that an iPod touch 3rd gen came with earphones with remote and mic. Even iPod nanos and shuffle got them. Since then Apple changed it's strategy to no longer include those earphones with the iPods. I think it's associated with their marketing and retail prices differentiation. It's not a problem for me though, because earpods are pretty crap anyways.

11. sno1man macrumors regular

Wrong answer try again..... You are probably also one of those people that believes that everything in the store is marked up 200 or 300 %

Holding both my iphone 5 and my daughters new touch side by side you can see lots of areas where the build quality is lower and cost cutting materials were substituted in the lower cost touch, not to mention a smaller battery.

That all being said, yes Apple does have some of the highest margins in the industry so you are paying an apple tax but by the same token you can't get an iphone or touch from any manufacturers but Apple. Yes there are other PMPs and cell phones but to me they are pale in comparison. (except maybe the Sony which actually costs more).

Finally, I do think it's unfortunate that they don't pack in the same ear pods with the touch. It would be interesting if they offered them as a BTO option for say $10 more. I think I'd bite at that, but $30 is too much

12. k1lljoy macrumors member

Best Buy has the Skullcandy Titan earbuds on sale for $20 right now, (normally $40), I have a pair, they're much better then anything apple has released.

13. urban.spaceman macrumors member

Yeah, problem solved at the extra cost of 25 quid!

Pillock.

14. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

my IPT 4G came with remote and mic...

they are taking them out on the IPT 5G? that's cheap.

15. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Your IPT 4G couldn't have come with a remote and mic...they've never included them on them. Ever.

16. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

the IPT 3G did then.

i sold my IPT 3G when i replaced it with the 4G and included the new earphones that came with the 4G in the deal. since i didn't open them i didn't check. i had the new one that came with my iphone and one i bought from apple so i could do without it.

but the 3G DID have it since the 3G came with no built-in mic and i remember using it as the voice input device.

17. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

The 3rd gen model absolutely did include the earphones with remote and mic though.

Link to specs

18. cnev3 macrumors 6502

Manufacturing costs is irrelevant to consumers. Do you know how much a $2 of bottle water costs to manufacture?

----------

[/COLOR]
    You're assuming that everyone who's ever bought an iPhone did so with a 2 year agreement rebate. You know what they say about assuming things.

And you can compare the cost of both the iPod Touch and the iPhone on the second hand market, and see with the differences between the prices of the two products, why the iPhones earbuds have a built in mic and better packaging.

19. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Yes I know a few cents.

That's only marketing difference. Nothing to do with the price. Like I said iPod line in 2009 had earphones with remote and mic, despite the same price differences like today's iPods and iPhone. Over the years Apple is being inconsistent with their strategy.