Well, there goes my back...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Sep 15, 2012.

  1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 7, 2008
    Was out hiking with the dog the other evening, when I tripped on something. In order to keep myself from falling, I did some pretty extreme contortions. In the process I must have done something to my back because since than it is quite painful to pretty much do anything, including breathe. Getting out bed, in and out of the car, hell even putting socks on are all now very difficult.

    Any tips for this? Ride it out? See a real doctor? What about a chiropractor??
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    I have been in alot of back pain before too. To the point where its hard to walk and hurts to sit, or anything relating to the torso.

    I usually wait it out. Sometimes takes me over 3 weeks to feel ok enough to play some pick up games again
  3. Iscariot macrumors 68030


    Aug 16, 2007
    At best an MD will give you painkillers and a referral for an X-Ray. Get yourself to a sports clinic where you can see a sports doctor, physio, RMT and/or Chiro who works with people with injuries. I typically refer my clients out to one of three sports clinics I work with depending on where in the city they live. A good practitioner will not only provide you with some relief from your symptoms, but will also be able to give you some preventative exercises and strategies.
  4. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020


    Jun 18, 2009
    City of Angels
    I F'd up my back moving luggage. It actually shocked my CNS and I had 3 mins of temp blindness because of it. The following day it took me 20 mins to roll out of bed b/c of the pain.

    I rode it out but I recommend seeing a doctor. Worse case scenario is surgery.

    And exercising your core because really important afterwards.
  5. einmusiker macrumors 68030


    Apr 26, 2010
    Location: Location:
    You probably pulled a muscle go to a physician and get some muscle relaxers
  6. adk macrumors 68000


    Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    I hurt my back pretty badly a few weeks ago. It was the first time I had ever hurt my back, and I knew it was a muscular issue because if I stretched it the pain went from unbearable to only excruciating. I went to a chiro and all he told me is "come back next week, we'll start a treatment plan."

    If you think it's muscular and it's never happened before, I'd recommend going to a normal MD. If you can afford to be zonked out on muscle relaxers for a few days I think that's the route to go.
  7. CodeRaven macrumors member

    May 14, 2008
    If you are experiencing any numbness or tingling in your feet/toes, definitely go see a doctor as you probably have a bulged or herniated disc. I herniated the the L5-S1 disc (last disc in your back) and needed surgery to correct. After the surgery, it is just learning proper body mechanics/posture and exercising to strengthen your core. Good luck, I hope is nothing more that a pulled muscle(s) for you.
  8. Prof. macrumors 601


    Aug 17, 2007
    Go see a Medical Doctor. Do not wait it out. We're talking about your back here, not your pinky finger.
  9. chrono1081 macrumors 604


    Jan 26, 2008
    Isla Nublar
    Go get it looked at!

    I wish I would have gotten it looked at by doctors that cared verses the crap ones I went to. (If the doctor doesn't listen walk out!)

    I'm 30 and have the back of an 80 year old.

    EDIT: Also, if your back went out and its hard to stand, chances are something has slipped out of place. This is my issue and I can feel it too. If I twist wrong I go down and I cant stand or walk for a few days because there is no connection between my back and my legs. Its awful. Its also going to be hard to get a doctor to actually look at it. I've been to four and not one has ever done anything to even look at my back.
  10. TSE macrumors 68030

    Jun 25, 2007
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I messed my back up doing weightlifting a few years ago.

    I wouldn't do any physical activity for a week or two. If it's not at least 90% by then, go see a doctor.
  11. Mousse macrumors 68000


    Apr 7, 2008
    Flea Bottom, King's Landing
    I've thrown out my back a few times before. I went to the local pharmacy to buy a back brace (it doubles as a hernia belt now for when I do heavy lifting). It helps a lot. It both supports your back and limits the amount you can twist as to NOT throw out your back...again. My back got better after a week's rest and wearing the brace, even when I sleep.

Share This Page