Well, this is one way to fix the antenna signal problem *MicroCell*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Jun 27, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I got the AT&T 3G MicroCell this weekend and after a long weekend of messing with it (they had a network problem which apparently was related to so many iPhones being activated) I have to say this thing is really great.

Not only do I now have a full 5 bars in every room of my house, but it also got rid of the antenna signal problem (when touching the lower left corner) so that really proves that it only occurs when you have a weak signal (I had 1-3 bars around the house before but it would fluctuate a lot and go to No Signal at times).

It end up costing $70 out of pocket after rebate but I think it's well worth it.

[​IMG]

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

You put a mini-cell tower in your house, what did you expect? You probably wouldn't need an antenna to get reception....

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

4. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Hmmm. Tempted but I am still stuck with an unreliable phone once I walk out the door.

5. karthwyne macrumors newbie

karthwyne

And any minutes or data used on your own bandwidth count against your monthly limit - I am not interested. AT&T wants us to pay them because their coverage is lacking.

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

New iPhone comes out with antenna issues, just as M-cells roll out all over the country. ;)

I'm probably getting one this week.

7. 3eyes macrumors newbie

You can pay $150 for it or you can pay $50 + $20/month for unlimited minutes through the microcell. If you pay the $150 it just deducts from your normal monthly allotment

8. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

Don't you have to pay an additional service fee for that? Seems a little ridiculous having to pay an additional fee doesn't it?

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Really?

That's pretty cool actually. Which is the better deal, I'm tired and don't want to do math. lol

Or is it wash.

10. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

No, there is no mandatory monthly fee.

The MicroCell costs $150 in store and that all you have to pay if you want the minutes you use to be deducted from your monthly plan.

The other option is to sign up for the $20 a month plan which then gets you a $100 rebate on the MicroCell and you get unlimited minutes while on the MicroCell. Depending on how much you use the cell phone at home, it could be a wash by reducing your monthly plan or maybe even cheaper if you reduce your plan by more then $20.

The nice thing is that it does not require a contract and from reading the rebate, you just have to have the service active on your account when you submit the rebate so you could cancel afterwards and still get your rebate.

11. slate1 macrumors regular

Mine didn't work worth a crap. I had more dropped calls through it than I did without it.

I'm in a "fringe" area and thought it might help me out. After talking with some "senior" tech guys I was finally told that the MicroCell can hand off a call to a local cell tower when it feels the signal is strong enough, but, a cell tower CAN NOT hand off a call in progress back to the MicroCell if the signal degrades.

It's a goofy design flaw in my opinion and renders the device useless unless you're in an area with zero coverage.

12. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Doesn't seem right to have to pay $150 for a device to use your internet connection, and still charge you for minutes, because AT&T has lousy coverage.
    My fix... get Verizon.

13. dagomike macrumors 65816

yeah, no dice on the microcell. It helps a little, but calls still drop where they didn't/don't on the 3GS, at least for me.