Well? Well? Hotspot status both carriers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by H0mersimps0n, Mar 16, 2012.

1. H0mersimps0n macrumors newbie

So painfully I had to jump town on business before I could get my iPad 3 which arrived by mail today.

Dying to know- does AT&T or Verizon iPad 3 have hotspot activated on 4g lte and does it work?

Get back tomorrow and can't wait to get my hands on it. Hope I don't regret AT&T but apparently even if I do I can return within 14 days to apple for refund.

Thanks guys

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Only Verizon is doing hotspot.

3. H0mersimps0n thread starter macrumors newbie

This has been confirmed? What happens when you try to activate on the AT&T ones? Nothing?

DAMNIT

4. H0mersimps0n thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The option is just not there.

Yet.

6. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Exchange time. I just don't understand why anyone bought the AT&T version. :confused:

7. H0mersimps0n thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

1. Because I have unlimited data.
    2. Because AT&T LTE is faster than Verizon LTE
    3. Because AT&T falls back on HSPA+ (4G) which runs circles around Verizon's 3G.
    4. Because Verizon's LTE in my area is a joke. Performance is spotty and falls back to 3G a lot (see #3).
    5. Because AT&T's LTE so far is awesome in my area. With 2 bars I am getting 11-16Mbps down.

As far as iDevices go, AT&T > Verizon every day of the week, and weekends too.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

you may be the minority. every speed test ive seen on here today has verizon being much faster. I got 20 down and 20 up today with 3 bars on verizon. I saw other verizon tests with 40 and 50mbps results.

10. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Yeah if all those stars align, AT&T is better. You are very much in the minority.

11. ZBoater, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

12. Smug Boy macrumors member

13. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Number 2 is not true. Both use the same lte technology so theoretically, they both have the same speed. Lte is lte, there aren't 5-6 different versions like with 3G. Speed largely matters on the towers and users.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the faster backhaul is there, it is. The other more common reason for faster speeds on AT&T is that Verizon's LTE network already has many devices on it using up bandwidth. AT&T's only has a few Android devices and now the iPad 3.

15. jsolares macrumors 6502a

LTE is not the only thing that determines what speed you get.

You also have to keep in mind what pipe AT&T and Verizon have to their antennas, how many customers are using that same antenna, etc.

So for him, it might well be 100% true.

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The AT&T rep told me hotspot is available, but only on the $50 plan.

17. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I'm not debating that at all, its more than just the technology behind it. I was simply stating that the statement Att is faster than Verizon isn't true for lte. With all things equal, the limitations are the same for once (unlike CDMA rev a 3G and hspa +)

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

19. H0mersimps0n thread starter macrumors newbie

My local store has Verizon pads in stock- going to exchange crappy AT&T one out when I get back into town- screw you AT&T - hello Verizon and hotspot awesomeness

20. donnaw macrumors 65816

Just curious, why all the fuss about a hotspot? I mean, your iPad has a data connection, your phone probably does too. What devices are you going to connect to it? I can easily see needing a hotspot on your phone so you can connect a wifi iPad or other tablet but I'm lost on why one for the iPad. Unless you're connecting a laptop.

How are you planning to use it?

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This is a good question. I have hotspot on my iPhone, and with unlimited LTE on my iPad, the chances of me needing to connect my laptop to the internet while away from wifi are slim to none. Checking email and web browsing are 90% of what I do while I'm out and about.

Sure, an LTE hotspot on my iPad sounds cool, but at the end of the day why would I pick a provider that in my area has spotty service and the LTE falls back on very poor 3G? To each his own I guess. I am happy in the minority. :D

22. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Quit complaining. Just wait for the jailbreak, MyWi will be $20, one time fee.. Has 10x more options than any native hotspot.

23. donnaw macrumors 65816

Me too. I have an iPad 2 with AT&T and when I purchased my new iPad I was reading about the hotspot thing and initially though 'cool'. But when I thought about it more closely I just couldn't find a use case for it. I have very good AT&T service (I'm in Austin) and I've alway had good coverage where I travel too.

So I'm failing to see the hubbub. I would think coverage and signal strength where you use your device would be the primary consideration. Hence my curiosity.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Don't you all carry smartphone anyway? Why can't you just use hotspot from your phones?

25. pogiboi macrumors regular

In Houston and Austin, AT&T has far better speeds than Verizon. Coverage is also much more consistent with AT&T. This is after owning and using both versions of the new iPad.