Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
A SMALL TOWN IN WISCONSIN
Well I have a Powermac g4 dual 500, and someone said I would need a video card. Well I was wondering why I would need a new video card it looks pretty good. Does any one have any recomendations?

I also would like to know what other upgrades I should do to my gigibit ethernet system. It's the standard system. But wiht 512 RAM.

CRAZYSAXCHRIS:D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
crazysaxchris said:
Well I have a Powermac g4 dual 500, and someone said I would need a video card. Well I was wondering why I would need a new video card it looks pretty good. Does any one have any recomendations?

I also would like to know what other upgrades I should do to my gigibit ethernet system. It's the standard system. But wiht 512 RAM.

My thoughts too, you don't need a new graphics card. After all macs are not for games at all :D

A newer series card (no need for the top of the line) may be good though, if only for CoreImage support.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
crazysaxchris said:

Who told you you needed a new video card, was it a stupid windows-loving friend, a sales man looking for a sale, or was it someone who actually knew what they were talking about?

If YOU really feel that you need a new Graphics card, just buy any ATI or Nvidia that you know to be compatible.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
1) Better Looking OSX experience. Having a TiBook 500, with an 8MB Video Card, makes me envious of the newer systems when I use them. The screen looks so much more in depth than mine.

2) Core Image, unfortunately, you need core image to get the most out of your system. In fact, the RSS and iTunes Album Screen Savers don't even work if you don't have Core Image. (Plus I don't Quartz Extreme either).

3) Games... SimCity 4, Halo, and any other new games require at least 32MB of VRAM, but work fine with a 500 MHZ G4 (except Halo which want 800).

Also, I suggest you upgrade the processor to at least 800 MHz, just for the extra oomph!

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.