Welp, was hoping for a 13" notebook announcement. Now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by miamialley, Jun 13, 2016.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Im on a 2008 MBP and have been holding out to see the next 13" MacBooks, but geez, I can't wait much longer. 12" just seems too small. When will we see the next gen 13"?

2. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

Last year there was one more Apple event I think and that was in october. I personally don't think they will wait that long but heck: it isn't even sure that there will be a MB revamp this year..or the next.. or..

I'd just say august :)

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

August would be a little late to catch the college-bound crowd though. Not that it couldn't happen, just that there's a lot of reason to release in time for the back to school stuff (June/July) rather than waiting for August.

4. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

Typically there is no hardware announced at WWDC. Its a software conference.

6. mantan macrumors 68000

As much as a bean counter as Tim Cook is, you'd think that they would release laptop updates every summer.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

8. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Does 12" seem to small to you because you've actually used it for a while or just because the number is smaller than 13"? I mean, it's completely useable with the retina resolutions.

Are you waiting on a 13" MacBook Pro or a 13" MacBook? I don't think a 13" MacBook will happen, that would be a 14" model because of the new aspect ratio (16:10 vs 4:3). They just refreshed the MacBook so a new screen size seems unlikely.

9. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

I was hoping for hardware, too (wasn't everyone? ha).

I don't really "need" a laptop, but could make use out of a new toy. So, I took advantage of the 1-day sale at Best Buy + coupon and a RZ cert I had that was about to expire, and picked up a 2016 rMB M3 model for $1239 out the door. If it doesn't get much use, I think I can do OK selling it in a few months.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You'll be fine. You'll probably have your chance to upgrade before Sierra is released.

11. gugy macrumors 68030

I think now the earliest we will see any updates is September. More likely October. I am so bummed out there did not announce anything at WWDC. This wait is pretty bad. I need a MBP now for a project, I'll get a Macbook in the meantime because is the latest update and sell it whenever Apple announces the new MBPs.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

What's wrong with the current batch of Macbook Pros? Not trying to be argumentative, but what is it that people are missing?

13. gugy macrumors 68030

Nothing wrong besides the fact they are outdated. The average cycle of updates according to MR is 268 days and now the current crop is 392.
    It's a better bang for the buck machine (13") but it needs an update big time. As for resale value, I think getting the Macbook now because was recently update is better than the MBP. Like I said, I am planning to sell it as soon as the new MBPs are released.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

What is wrong is that many hear can not stand to have the latest and greatest or the world will end.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

What are you hoping the next gen has that the current doesn't have?

16. gugy, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

gugy macrumors 68030

Faster processors, hopefully more RAM capacity (32 would be great) and TB3. Also resale value.

17. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have used it in the store a number of times. It's noticeably smaller than a 13" for me.

The next ones will be thinner and faster (presumably).

My MBP is 2008, so I think I've waited a while.

Thinner.

18. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Okay, so you're waiting on a Pro. You've posted in the wrong forum then.

Differences between 12" MacBook and the future 13" MBP are much greater than just screen size. Speed, price... The 12" is a very compelling product in my opinion, but can't beat the Pro if you need speed.

19. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

For the average user with minor photoshop stuff, web browsing, word doc, etc. would you guys recommend a higher end spec 2015 refurb for cheaper, or a 2016 lower end spec for about the same if not more $$$?