WeMo, IFTTT, gives Mac 512K ability to shut itself off!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by napabar, Mar 31, 2013.

1. napabar macrumors 6502

napabar

Here is my latest video showing how to give a Mac 512K the ability to shut itself off using Siri, iCloud, IFTTT, and a Wemo.

What's really cool is that this could easily have been a Mac 128K and accomplished the same thing! It may be time to re-evalute what we can do with a Mac 128K, using these services and devices in tandem. Like I mention in the video, it's really limited to our imagination and scripting ability!

http://youtu.be/kU0rUUOZWoU

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Well its a little too late to re-re-evalutate things. We were re-evalutateing things in 96' when people were throwing these things away. Theres quite literally nothing much that can be accomplished on these things that a imac g3 couldn't do 50x as good. And isn't that just a little sad...
    Though it is amazing what people were able to accomplish on these things back in the day but People today would look at you crazy if you told them you do graphic design in macpaint. do your taxes with calculator and then file them in excel 87'. All the while surfing the internet on your 300bps modem :p

3. napabar thread starter macrumors 6502

napabar

Methinks you're missing the point. This was directed at collectors of vintage Macs, not today's regular end users.

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I am a collector, but still if what you were trying to say is that we should revaluate what these machines can accomplish then your quote is mute

5. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Chill, chillbil... ;)

The point here is that I doubt anybody would have thought that a Mac512 or 128K would be able to do these things with seemingly relative ease.

I for one, coming from a background of career as a repairer since PC-1 and Apple II machines, certainly have had a change of view about what is STILL possible with such old machines.

6. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I myself was using a maxed out Performa 6400/200 as my main machine up until early 2010 and I am very aware of what these machines are capable of doing. yeah and I myself was also surprised by this.

Take last week for example

We were about to board a flight to dallas and I was like "OH MAH GOD I LEFT THE 128K MACINTOSH ON :eek:"

7. napabar thread starter macrumors 6502

napabar

My quote is not mute. If you're not interested in this kind of thing, then there is no reason to post....unless you're just trying to stir things up.

8. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

On what grounds is your post not mute, :p

sorry about that if I came off as a troll to a newbie and with that apology I must congratulate you on finding a way to turn off a mac with a phone. You sir are an Apple Genius

9. napabar thread starter macrumors 6502

napabar

A newbie? I've been a member of these forums years before you....

10. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

yes but the ranking system puts me at a higher rank than you... Like that really makes a difference