Wemo's WiFi Smart Dimmer Gains HomeKit Compatibility Through New Firmware Update

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Belkin's Wemo brand today announced HomeKit support for the Wemo WiFi Smart Dimmer, which is being added to existing Smart Dimmer switches through a software update.

Wemo's Smart Dimmer, priced at $79.99, is a wall switch that replaces a traditional wall switch and is designed to dim connected lights.

[​IMG]

With HomeKit integration, the Smart Dimmer can be controlled via Siri voice commands on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and HomePod, and it adds controls for the device in the Home app.
    Smart Dimmer switches will also be able to be integrated into HomeKit scenes right alongside other HomeKit devices, and remote access is available through a home hub that includes HomePod, Apple TV, or an iPad.

The Smart Dimmer switches are the second Wemo product to gain direct HomeKit support, joining the Wemo Mini Smart Plug. Other Belkin products, such as the Insight Smart Plug, Motion Sensor, and Light Switch are able to connect to HomeKit setups through the Wemo Smart Bridge.

[​IMG]

Wemo says that the update that will enable HomeKit support for its Dimmer switches is rolling out today, with the firmware able to be downloaded through a new Wemo app in the iOS App Store.

The Smart Dimmer can be purchased from the Belkin website for $79.99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Belkin. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Wemo's WiFi Smart Dimmer Gains HomeKit Compatibility Through New Firmware Update

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They updated many of their WeMo plugs for HomeKit months ago. This seems late.

3. NOW4REAL954 macrumors newbie

What about the other wemo products. Lightbulbs. Led strips. Etc. why can’t they have firmware updates to at least work with the HomeKit hub that costs so darn much. That I got that is useless. It only works with the original wemo plug. So I bought it for nothing cuz I only have one plug.

Please update firmware for the wemo hub or bulbs and strips.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

Good: Does not quire Wemo Smart Bridge.

Bad: Not 3-way switch compatible, neutral wire required, Wi-Fi (performance typically degrades significantly when you have more than a couple of dozens per router).

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

6. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Instead of complaining about every minute detail, we should all be praising Wemo for upgrading their existing products for free. I don’t know of any other mainstream manufacturer that has recteoactively added HomeKit support.

7. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

If you want the most reliable smart switch, look at Lutron Caseta. It uses a small hub, but that's a good feature: Instead of clogging your Wifi, it uses a proprietary wireless signal. The hub bridges the switches to your wifi router, so you can control it via HomeKit (as well as Alexa and Google Home) and remotely.

If you're only going to install a few smart switches, having them connect directly to Wifi may not be a big deal. But if you're going to install many switches (I've installed dozens), having the hub take a load off your router is important.

Look over the Amazon reviews of the Leviton, and you'll see they're not great. I have not tried the Wemo dimmer myself.

That said, the four button layout of the Caseta switches takes some getting used to, where the Leviton has a more typical Decora.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Thanks! I like the idea of a hub for all the reasons you said. But I hate the look of that Caseta switches. For home interior stuff, aesthetics is very important.

9. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

If you're willing to pay for it, you could get Lutron RadioRA2 switches installed. They look like normal Decora switches, but work with a hub like Caseta (in fact, it's the same wireless protocol). But they're only available through professional installers/dealers. I have no idea how much they cost, but I'll bet it's big moolah.

10. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

No kidding. Ring even promised in 2016 that HomeKit was coming to the Ring Pro and Floodlight cam back in 2016. I got the Ring Pro for Christmas a year and a half or so after their announcement, and bought the Floodlight cam a few months later. They are still to this day on Twitter telling people that it's coming eventually. I swear!