Went for a MBP over an iMac, slightly regret that now!...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Manwithnoname, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Manwithnoname macrumors newbie

I recently got a MBP 15", 3 days ago.

I have installed all the things I need to install and really feel it's a quality piece of hardware, very solid and excellent design. HOWEVER, I am now in a dilemma, I just feel the screen is annoying me with it's small scale and high resolution!

I am used to desktops, but went for the MBP because I do like to have the option of moving about. Although I'm now thinking how often is that really to justify the extra I paid. I can't get used to the small wide screen at all and I'm regretting the purchase.

What can I do now? I don't mind either way if I have to keep it etc, I still love it, just think at the back of my mind that an iMac would've have suited me more but I suppose I had to try that to find out. If I ring Apple do they accept exchanges for used hardware that I've installed things on already?

2. slater77 macrumors newbie

Why not get an external display to go along with your MBP? Then you will have the best of both worlds. The Apple display is a beauty but you can also find decent ones for far less money. I have a MB and just got a Dell 2209 eIPS display for $220. It's a good display and although 24" inches would be better than 22" I still love the versatility of my MB.

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

I second the external display. That's what I do with my MBP. I enjoy the flexibility of taking my computer with me and having a desktop equivalent system when I'm at home.

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

As above really, mate - I don't take my MBP out all that often, so most of the time it's hooked up to my ACD. The beauty of that is that I use my laptop around the house a lot, whether in the kitchen or lounge or just lying in bed, so it gives me the best of both worlds.

5. bossxii macrumors 68000

Based on what you said, I would exchange it for a iMac. You would get a much larger screen and save $1000 bucks. The 2.66 24" model for $1500 is a similar machine with a 24" screen. Apple, in most cases, is very good about exchanging products within the first 14 days and working to make you, the customer happy.

While buying an external monitor helps, it just adds more $$$ to the total spent to achieve the same thing an iMac does. Think about what you would use a laptop for if and when you would be mobile? If it's checking email, surfing the web etc.. get your iMac for home and then just buy some little netbook or even a used MB for portability.

Trust your first impression, your not going to be happy long term if your being honest here in your post (which I assume you are). These things cost to much money to settle, get what makes you happy!

6. James Cole macrumors 6502

defenetely just get a monitor and you get the best of 2 worlds.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

Another vote for an external display. However, it's not that easy to find good displays, and I think the Apple LED one is among the better affordable (relatively speaking) ones. Here would be my suggestions:

1. Cinema display (great panel, LED backlighting, size, built in speakers, MBP charging etc)

2. HP LP2475w (great panel, great ergonomics, ugly, cheaper)

3. HP LP2275w (very good panel, great ergonomics, ugly, inexpensive)

4. Dell 2209wa (good IPS panel, great ergonomics, fine design, very inexpensive)

5. Lenovo L220x (very good panel, excellent high resolution, great ergonomics, ugly, solid)

If you can afford it, definitely go for the Apple - it's beautifully designed and has among the best affordable panels around, plus all the integration with the MBP.

8. Manwithnoname thread starter macrumors newbie

Great answers guys, thanks.

I've looked into the possibility this morning of an exchange and it seems very easy to do, Apple are happy with it. So that's good to know just in case.

Spoken to some friends who say stick with the MBP because portability is a great option for the future if needs be, and yes I do actually like the idea of not just having to sit at 1 desk to use the computer.

Basically an external display sounds a good idea, money is not an issue - not that I'm loaded! But £600 for this is OK.

I am just concerned about the look of it all, I am big on design, I take it the MBP can be closed while using the monitor? I would buy a wired keyboard and wireless mouse for all this too.

Finally, if you all had the choice between a good iMac or MBP and external monitor, what would YOU get? Money not an issue...

9. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

My recommendation is external monitor(s). I love the ability to use my MBP anywhere as is. I also have multiple systems and multiple monitors and often use my MBP with a 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor at home (use the mini-Display Port to DVI adapter) and then daily at work I connect two 20" 1600 x 1200 Dells (where I use a USB to DVI adapter to get the second monitor on line).

The point is with the MBP you have many options. With an iMAC you just have a great machine on your desk (an fewer options).

My 2 cents.
    Neil

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

Ok, well if money isn't the issue, then I jump over to with the rest of em lol, go for the MBP + external.

As far as looks on your desktop it can be setup very clean and yes you can use the UMBP close "clamshell mode". I have the 24" ACD with my 17" UMBP. I simply close my MBP, hook up the power, usb and mini display port connections, then move the mouse or push a key on the keyboard and my external comes on. While you will have to set it up the first time, the option to allow a bluetooth or usb device to wake your machine (have to find the exact option but something like that heh).

I have my laptop on a shelf above my monitor in a hutch. I use the Apple ACD so I went with the full size USB Apple keyboard and then a USB logitech mouse. I love the setup, clean look and gives me no visible wires and lots of desktop space.

11. Cantunis macrumors member

Another vote for MBP + External Display

Ive got a 2.8 BTO MBP 15" and an Apple LED Cinema Display . Its awesome . The MBP is nearly as powerful as the top-line iMac and guess what , you get best of both world . A nice and light laptop for extreme portability . Get home , plug in the cables and its a Desktop . Close your lid , place something under the MBP if you are scary about heat ( BlueLounge CoolFeet Recommended , 12$ and work like a treat ! ) .

Its sure expensive , but hey , the commodity of the combo is priceless

12. trip1ex macrumors 68000

IF money isn't an issue then grab the 24" ACD. That will give you your big screen and help with the look of it all.

But considering you can get 24" iMac refurb 2.8ghz cpu for $1200 here in the US make sure you need the portability.

13. Keleko macrumors 68000

Something I forgot about, and should be mentioned as an option, is return the 15" and get TWO Macs. Get a MacBook for portability needs and an iMac for a desktop. It would end up costing about the same, or maybe even less, than the MBP + external.

If you don't need all the full power of the MBP when mobile, then the MacBook will likely meet all your needs when you are mobile. Of course, the display is smaller, so if you're really concerned about a smaller screen, then just get an external screen.

Just wanted to put that out there as something not mentioned as another alternative.

14. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I don't know where you get your apple products, but can you explain how you can obtain a MB, imac, PLUS an external monitor at equal or less than a MBP price?

15. dmb3886 macrumors regular

The new imacs are very nice, but the portability of mbps are too..

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

My vote goes towards the external as well. And if you want something nice looking but don't have $$ for the Apple one, look into the Samsung SyncMaster (I think it is) I have the T260 and couldn't have been happier. Also has HDMI for my PS3 and I've been thinking about selling it to a friend to get the T260HD and get rid of my big ass-TV which I hardly ever watch.

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I was in the opposite situation. In August 2007 my beloved 12" PowerBook began to show signs of hard drive failure. The first generation of aluminum iMacs were released just then, so I picked up a 20" model.

At first I had buyer's remorse about the 20" model and wished I had spent the extra money on the 24" iMac.

Then I replaced the PowerBook hard drive and found myself in an awkward position of only being able to do some things on the PB and other things only on the iMac, because I started switching to newer intel-only software or wanted to work with things that the PowerBook struggled to keep up with. Working on projects on the iMac and then copying them onto the PowerBook to take with me started to get old, as did "sorry guys, I can't do that on this thing, but wait till I get home and I'll do it on my iMac" and I realized that what I really wanted was the MacBook Pro.

I bought a refurb MBP last June, and sold the PowerBook, and immediately found that I hardly used the iMac (less than once a week) so I finally sold that too.

The MBP running dual-monitor with an external display is by far the best of both worlds.

18. AdamN macrumors newbie

2 Computers for the price of one

I second the idea of two macs:

One iMac and one MacBook (or even a MacBook Air - which I'm a personal fan of). The total is not much more than a MBP and an external Apple Display.

19. PDE macrumors 68020

I would advise against two computer because it's a pain to keep everything synced up unless you have everything online. I had two for a while but found it to be much more work than I was willing to put up with. A laptop and a monitor strikes me as the perfect balance.

20. Keleko macrumors 68000

That would be MacBook and iMac, no external display. The iMac covers the "external display" part.

And yes, syncing the two could be potentially clumsy. I just wanted to point it out as an alternative to the external display for the MBP since price-wise it is about the same. It gives you a faster desktop system and a somewhat more portable laptop.

I'll add that I have a 15" MBP and external display and not two Macs.

21. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I use a 15" PowerBook with an external monitor and I love being able to unplug it and sit somewhere else or leave the house and be exactly where I was before I unplugged it. MacBook Pro's have more expansion than ANY iMac ever made. User replaceable HD RAM AND Express Card VS RAM upgrade on the iMac. I would keep the MacBook Pro and get an external monitor for it.

I never liked the idea of two computers as laptops are plenty powerful and they support bigger monitors than iMacs. If you need more HD space get an external HD but remember that anything on it will not be accessible on the road. I used to require a laptop but I do not anymore and I still will buy laptops.

Keep your MacBook Pro and get a cheap 24 inch external monitor. I am actually typing this post without being at a desk. I have found that I only do stuff at a desk that makes me need the 17 inch monitor.

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

definitively get the apple display. it powers the computer so you can keep you other power supply in your bag or somewhere else that you also use your computer a lot. i keep mine near my bed.:)