Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
So I "upgraded" to a 15" machine the day of WWDC and I've been trying to force myself to like this machine but I just can't. The ONLY think I like better about this 15 Pro (2.66) over my uMB (2.0) is the video card and the screen viewing angles. The CPU speed is faster I guess but I don't really notice it in the day to day operations (Photoshop and a web).

I feel like I should like this thing more but it's so damn bulky after carting a 13" around with me. I take my laptop with me everywhere during the week out of necessity for work and this thing is starting to drive me nuts. I've always lusted for the 15" Pro but now that I picked one up... I think I hate it's bulk.

Am I crazy? It's been over 14 days so I can't return it and I don't feel like taking the hit for selling it... bah... remorse.

Anyone else gone through this?

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
You aren't crazy. By no means is the 15" bulky, but it is definitely a larger notebook than the 13". I go back and forth on it all the time.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Yes. I returned my uMB 2.4 13" and got a 15" MBP. Way too big. The screen was the main reason but now with the better displays on the newest 13's, I want to ditch this pig and get a new 13 MBP. Of coarse my main computer is an Air so I'm not totally S.O.L.

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
yea I have never had a laptop larger than 14". Going from my 13" macbook to a 15" or larger gets annoying. I don't think I could use a bigger screen size now...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I feel like I should like this thing more but it's so damn bulky after carting a 13" around with me. I take my laptop with me everywhere during the week out of necessity for work and this thing is starting to drive me nuts. I've always lusted for the 15" Pro but now that I picked one up... I think I hate it's bulk.

Dude.. Wait till you travel internationally with a MBP 17" Then you'll really know how good it is to have a MBP 15". If you're really worried about the bulk, why didn't you go with the MBA? Or is that skimping too much?

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Dude.. Wait till you travel internationally with a MBP 17" Then you'll really know how good it is to have a MBP 15". If you're really worried about the bulk, why didn't you go with the MBA? Or is that skimping too much?

Yeah, I was thinking about that... I'll get a 17" for a bit to appreciate the 15" :p

I've flown with the 15" and it wasn't so bad in that respect but the entire flight, I was thinking about how my 13" used to fit on the tray :p

I wanted the 15" because I don't want more than one computer. The 13" was so close to being enough... but the video card just missed the mark... hence why the MBA just isn't enough... not to mention the RAM limitation which is the real clincher for me with that machine.

I think I'm gonna go get a new bag for this thing to see if it helps me adapt a bit better. If that doesn't do it, I'm selling this and getting a new 13" and a desktop which I'm really trying to avoid like the plague.

A friend of mine is in town and I was finding myself jealous of his 13" whitebook... :p

Is this a bad time to say I miss the 12" powerbook... hehehe

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Yeah, I was thinking about that... I'll get a 17" for a bit to appreciate the 15" :p

I've flown with the 15" and it wasn't so bad in that respect but the entire flight, I was thinking about how my 13" used to fit on the tray :p

I wanted the 15" because I don't want more than one computer. The 13" was so close to being enough... but the video card just missed the mark... hence why the MBA just isn't enough... not to mention the RAM limitation which is the real clincher for me with that machine.

I think I'm gonna go get a new bag for this thing to see if it helps me adapt a bit better. If that doesn't do it, I'm selling this and getting a new 13" and a desktop which I'm really trying to avoid like the plague.

A friend of mine is in town and I was finding myself jealous of his 13" whitebook... :p

Is this a bad time to say I miss the 12" powerbook... hehehe

Oh I have a white book but I have both a love and hate relationship with it. The thing is great, love the semi-tactile plastic body, the display ain't too bad, the keyboard was doable but the edge of the casing might as well be a knife!!! It annoyed me no end. So considering I got it for FREE!! I thought I'd use it as a home media server or something. Anything so long as I don't have to type on it. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm sorry to learn of your story because, from my experience, the 15" is the best possible trade off between portability, a good spec and an excellent screen that you'll get in the Mac world. Reading your tale, there is no perfect solution, and there won't be until Apple upgrade the 13" further.

For my part, I have a MBP and love it; and yes, I am thinking about adding a MBA to it in due course. I like the 13", but not as a main computer. In any case, I hope you find a way out of your dilemma.

Cheers and good luck

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I've been on the opposite side of the fence. I think it comes down to how much you travel. My MB is at home mostly these days and I would love
the 15 or 17 inch screens with higher resolution.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
exposé & spaces are so underated, for me it's either a 13" laptop or 24" desktop

15" doesn't get me to view more than one application at a time, so why bother?

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
It's something you get used to after a while. I have a 10 inch eeepc and a 15 inch mbp, and every time I switch between those 2 I think "wow! this screen is rediculously small/huge" but after a couple of minutes I don't notice it anymore.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
It's something you get used to after a while. I have a 10 inch eeepc and a 15 inch mbp, and every time I switch between those 2 I think "wow! this screen is rediculously small/huge" but after a couple of minutes I don't notice it anymore.

That's one option I'm considering... but I really just don't want 2 computers. I'm trying to RESIST my tech addiction :p

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah I had a run in with the 13 vs. 15 dilemma.

First I returned an unopened 15" for a 13", I just felt I didn't need a 15" even though I had just sold a 15" MBP. Tried the 13" and thought maybe it was too small, so I went back and got the 15" again, this time the previous generation. While I liked the 15" I missed the 13", the small size and excellent battery, I wanted it back. I went in with my tail between my legs and spoke with the Apple Store manager, apologized for going back and forth and he let me go back to another 13" which is where I plan to stay.

:)

I'm usually not this indecisive but for some reason this was a tough one and a lot of money spent so I wanted to be sure.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
i went the other way, thought the 13" MBP was too small, especially since I have the MBA for my ultra portable needs so I went back to the 15" MBP and love it ... you see more detail on the larger screen and the footprint and weight difference from the 13" to the 15" isn't that noticeable, imo

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
After having 2 15" computers, I can't go smaller than 15". I feel claustrophobic on anything smaller. I guess it depend on what you've come to know as normal. You might be able to learn to live with a bigger (or smaller) screen, but are you really happy with it?

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Lighten Up

Are you traveling with the AC adapter? Ditch it. (And buy a spare for your office if you commute/compute there) Do you have a super lightweight bag? If not, get one. Then pare down all the other crap you generally take out of the house with you. You'll still miss the 13" as I'm loving the size, weight and such, but you'll do a lot better.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
No, you're not crazy. You're the one whose having to use the computer. A quick peek at the boards to look at all the 13" or 15" mbp threads will confirm you are not alone.

This is all fairly subjective. You alone know what you truly need, and what you truly like. Despite all the differing opinions you will see on this thread, none of these people are you. (Except of course you.)

With some of the crappy, washed out, contrast impaired screens on some of the early uni MB's, I would have told you to go with a MBP. Since Apple quietly remedied this shortcoming, either would be a valid choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.