Went from 13" to 15" - HUGE DIFFERENCE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soulreaver99, Jul 27, 2011.

1. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I've been a fan of 13" notebooks for the past few years because portability is most important to me. Then came the iPad and MacBook Air and it was almost pointless to have the MacBook Pro 13. It's been acting as a file server for a couple of months and hardly left the house. I bring my Air out to the office and leave the 13" at home and there are times when 11 and 13 are just TOO small.

Looked at Craigslist yesterday just for the hell of it and got this for $1100 (also posted in the Last Purchased thread)...

Apple Macbook Pro 15 (2010) 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    8gb RAM 500GB, Nvidia GeForce 330M 512MB
    APPLE CARE UNTIL 10/8/2013

Fired it up and OMG, what a difference in both performance and screen size. Also, holding the MBP 13 and 15 one on each hand, there really isn't that much of a weight difference especially when carrying in a laptop bag. I'm 5'8, 160 and carrying around a 15" doesn't feel much heavier than a 13. It does take more real estate on the desk but if I need to carry something small, there's an iPad or Air for that. And for those who don't have a tablet or ultra portable, there really isn't that much you can't do on your smartphone than what you can do on your laptop.

I'm off to install some REAL games on this baby!

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

is it in good condition?
    looks like you got a good deal, congratulations!

3. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Yes it's in perfect condition. Apple Care was a huge plus too.

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Why does this surprise you?

6. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

I would love to get one for the anti-glare screen.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and long may you enjoy your MBP. Good luck.

Cheers

8. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" 2010 MBP, as well. I agree that it's an excellent machine. I feel that 15" is the perfect size for a laptop screen; it has great real-estate, but is small enough to be portable. The antiglare is a huge plus, in my opinion. I would never go for a 13" MBP at this time because it is somewhat lacking in comparison to the 15". $1,100 was a great deal, too. A steal, to be honest. Enjoy that baby!

9. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Glad you are so pleased with it. I too think that's a deal for that mac

10. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

11. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

This is a little bit off topic, but has anyone noticed the huge lack in 2010 MacBook Pro users on this forum? There was a poll a while ago and 2010 MBPs were the minority. I mean, it was released only a year ago...

12. paleriderc2d macrumors member

I am a token 2010 13" C2D 2.66 user. :)

Bought mine 2 days before the refresh so I wouldn't have to endure Intel graphics again. I was upgrading from the 2006 black MacBook with a Core Duo.

It works great and a heavy load for my MBP is using iTunes and Microsoft Word.

13. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I just did a similar switch except with an older macbook pro and I know exactly what you are talking about. I love the screen size and I agree that the weight difference really isn't that much. Definitely buying a 15" machine next time I need an upgrade, I love my big MBP :D

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Sounds like you got a pretty nice deal man, congrats and nice buy.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you got that for $1100? I paid $3000 for the exact same thing last year! It got replaced by Apple today with a 2011 model, but you still got an AMAZING deal!

16. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

I agree, great buy. And we do have choices. But I don't understand why everyone seems to think that the MBP 17" is to big. Sorry not hijacking the thread, but I don't see THAT much difference in weight and dimensions that someone would give up the real estate of the 17". I hope some one can explain.

17. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Whenever I have gone to the apple store and looked at the 17" machines, they just seem gigantic and I can never imagine myself carrying one around. Now, granted, I have never carried one around or used one, so I don't have much to back what I'm saying. I just think it would take up too much space in a bag or even on a desk for one to carry one around all the time. It would be great if it was going to sit and act as a desktop most of the time, but just too big for an everyday commute.

I don't really care about the weight difference, I think that the difference between 15" and 17" is bigger than 13" and 15" though. Even though its the same dimension jump, seems like a 17" machine is a whole lot bigger than a 15" one.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No reason really lol. Some people just get scared at the large size. Whenever I whip mine out people are usually nervous at first but once they see all that you can do with it well they're pleasantly surprised. I mean the small ones are nice and all and they're good for slipping into cramped spaces but sometimes when you're trying to get things done the right way, the size becomes a valuable asset.

19. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

We are still talking about laptops right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's a reasonable assumption. Lets just go with that :D