went from 21.5 SL to 27 lion, now mac keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ruk110, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

I upgraded my iMac from 21.5 inch dual core to the latest 27 inch quad core and moved over to lion and now my mac randomly keeps freezing if i try to do more than two things at one. It is freezing on me every day. Music/movies will still play but no motion on the screen what so ever. Cant skip tracks or pause them. Mouse can still be moved around screen. Is there anything i can do or does anybody know of any fixes or shared the same problem??

Thanks

2. Jeordeon macrumors newbie

Lion uses a TON of RAM. Open Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor) and when it opens select Memory Usage at the bottom, and when it shows the pie chart see if your memory is being all used up. If so, consider upgrading your memory (about $60 for 8 GB). Otherwise I don't know; try restarting Safari, or rebooting. If everything fails, take it to the Apple Store to have them look at it. Best of luck.

3. ruk110 thread starter macrumors regular

ruk110

wow yeah i have one safari page open and iTunes, and its using just shy of 2GB!!!!! i just downloaded the lion update too so ill give that a shot and see how i go. thanks for the advice.

p.s ram aint cheap everywhere else!!

4. matwue macrumors member

Your problem is most likely not the amount of RAM (you probably have 4GB which is more than enough for most things).

What kind of software are you using when the freezes happen? I had the very same symptoms (everything sort of freezes, but mouse still moveable and music still plays) when I was using an app called Vox (lightweight music player) which was not Lion ready. An update to the latest beta version of the app solved the problem.

So, I would recommend updating all your software (especially the stuff that's running when the problem occurs) and of course also upgrading to Lion version 1.7.1., which solves Safari's memory problems.

5. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Safari 5.1 has a mem leak. Perhaps use another browser until it is updated.

6. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

4GB is not "more than enough", it's the bare minimum. Really 8GB is the real minimum amoutn of RAM you need to have for a solid responsive system. And it IS cheap everywhere. It looks like 4GB of RAM is in the 50-60£ range in the UK. Seems pretty cheap to me. For the cost of a decent dinner out with the wife, you can double you memory.

Having said that, I agree that the OP's problems have nothing to do with RAM. There is obviously some problem specific to his software setup that is creating the problem. Take it the Apple store or call them, their support is great.

7. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem since installing Lion. My whole system freezes, even the mouse won't move, music stops etc. I have to press an hold the restart button to reset the computer. Happens at least 5-7 times a day. All I am using is iTunes & Safari (both upgraded for Lion). FYI, I have 4Gb RAM.

8. URB4UC macrumors newbie

Apple is not the same anymore

I moved from the G4 to the Pro, and as soon as I got a year with the Mac Pro it started to freeze up every single day. If i could've just add more RAM to my G4 i would've stay with it. Since their "pro era" they all freeze, and i did spent a lot of of $$$ since they were recently coming out (pro's). On my next recording studio update, one thing is for sure... I'll go for the PC... they are cheaper and they don't freeze every day... and can buy a new one every two years for the $$ the Mac's cost..

9. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

How much RAM do you have? Any bad permissions that need to be repaired? Apple IS the same, and I've honestly heard more about more problems with G4's and G5's than with all the Mac Pro iterations combined - but that's just what I've heard.

Could be your RAM, but worse choice simply re-install the OS and that should take care of all freezing issues.

I'd stick with Mac, though it's true PC's are cheaper, but workstations from Apple are similarly priced to their PC counterparts, though the Mac Pro's do need an update now.