Went from MacBook to Unibody Pro, first impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patriks7, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

So I just bought a new 2.4 MacBook Pro. Before I had a late 07 White MacBook. So I wanted to give you guys some first impressions, especially for those wanting to make the same switch. So first off, why the 2.4 Pro and not normal MacBook? Well, I decided that I will buy the Pro first to see how it will be especially for traveling and stuff, and if I find it too big, I have no problem paying the 10% within 14 days for a MacBook. First thing I noticed, was that the screen is pretty damn nice compared to the MacBook, but only if looking at it from a weird angle. Another thing about the screen; so far I really LOVE the size :p Movies look nicer and so do other stuff. And I don't really get what all these people complain about. Unless you have the sun right behind you, there are hardly any reflections. Another thing I noticed right away was that the ports are definitely way too close. I wanted to plug in my external HDD and memory stick, but the memory stick was a bit too wide for it :confused: The mouse is a huge improvement and I really love the backlit keyboard. I also love the aluminum construction! Anyway gonna go do some battery tests and graphics tests now and try moving around with it and use it in places like my MacBook so I can decide if it's not too big.

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Congratulations on your purchase! :)

I have an MBP also and actually find no problem with the size. I carry it every single day with my school papers going to university and I've found no problems with it being too heavy.

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Memory stick? Do you mean usb flash drive? I can see how that might be an issue if the ports are too close. That's one thing I like about the previous gen MBP with a second usb on the other side. It comes in handy at times.

Anyway, congrats on your new MBP. Let's hope it serves you well!

4. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yes I meant USB flash drive :p for some reason I have been calling it Memory stick for like 5 years now with tons of people trying to tell me its a flash drive :p

Anyway, thanks both of you! I have a lot of time to do tests, as I'm laying sick in the hotel :p

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Actually the proper name is memory stick, flash drive can apply to multiple things including solid state hard drives as thats technically how they work.

6. finalcut macrumors 6502

I did almost the same upgrade and I am very satisfied also :D

7. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Ha. So I was right! :p

Nice to hear. I was thinking about going your way as well, but decided the faster processor isn't worth the 500$ for me, cause I get my RAM and HDD for free :cool:

8. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah - but most USB sticks are wider than USB plugs. You can fit two USB plugs side by side.

But for that reason, that is why I bought this USB stick

[​IMG]

£15 (~$21) for the 8GB model.

It is tiny - smaller than a USB plug, so can use that and anything else.

9. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow thats a really nice price for it's physical size and as well as the actual size. I'm gonna have to look for something like that soon.

Anyway, I just want to say that I found my first dislike. I'm charging right now after calibrating, and I'm at 92% with 1 hour left to charge. I have read about this issue, but I hope it will get better after a couple cycles. My old MacBook would charge much, much faster :confused: But could it also be due to the US plug? Since I only have used my MacBook in Europe.

10. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Sadly it's affecting every Unibody Macbook, so it look like it's within specs. IMO it's not that bad. I've never had problem that my Macbook was charging too slowly, I use it during the say and once I'm home I just plug it.

11. kolax macrumors G3

It is possible your MacBook battery didn't hold much charge (a year's use) so charged a lot quicker.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on your new computer, and may both you and your MBP live long together and prosper. I have a MBP and must say it is an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck

13. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

glad you enjoy your new piece.
    I just made the same switch form the 13' macbook to the new unibody 2.4.

I do the regular browsing the web and some photo editing and some other basic things. Mainly just got the macbook pro for the 15" screen size and its a beautiful piece, cannot go wrong with the multi-touch either ya know.

keep having fun with your new MBP!!!!!!!!!

14. zentient macrumors newbie

battery charging is slower in the USA

It can take longer to charge the same battery in the USA because of the lower voltage (120V) compared to, for example, Europe (220V). There's not as much power coming out of a USA plug.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The phasing out of FW ports on the new unibody MBP made it an easy choice to go with a "classic" MBP for me. Also the ports on both sides of the classic MBP makes for a much nicer fit v. the tight fit and sometimes incompatible/crowded plug-in USB ports. You could always purchase a multi-USB hub with an extension...:cool:

16. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

My MacBook battery lasts about 4 hours or longer, depending on what I'm doing. Currently my Pro is jumping from 4:30 to 5:30 so I hope it's a good sign for good battery life :p (this is with backlight halfway, keyboard halfway browsing, chatting on MSN and Pages open with 9400 on)

Aha, I knew there was something about it :p Well I'm stuck another week or so here in NYC, so I won't know until then :p