went from mba to rmbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Aug 6, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

those who went from a macbook air to a rmbp, how is the switch going? i went from powerbook/macbook pro to macbook air to retina macbook pro.

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It took be a little bit to get used to the extra heft... but now I can't go back. The screen is simply amazing, and this machine is blazing fast.

3. kpdillon macrumors member

I just sold the MBA and the MBPr is on it's way this week. I am wondering how the transition will go as I was very mobile with my MBA. I am especially looking forward to:

- extra RAM
    - extra screen real estate
    - additional processing power
    - nicer screen (I hope it's as amazing as people say it is)
    - bigger and faster SSD
    - black bezel vs silver bezel
    - extra battery power
    - USB 3.0

I think this list outweighs the downside of the extra weight/size that I'll be carrying around. I just hope in normal day to day use this machine doesn't run uncomfortably hot. I tried the 2011 MBP classic and it was too hot even under light loads.

I thought the MBA was a really great machine, so I am hoping I will love this MBPr a lot more!

4. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

I have a gaming PC, I wish I could throw it and turn it to a Mac Pro LOL Hackintoshed it but it isn't the same :( I've been waiting upon a new MacBook since last school year and thankfully I waited. My Retina is still processing and I'm very excited :D ! After hackintosh I never want to go back.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I went from a MBA + Mac Pro to rMBP. It's awesome!!

6. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

the portability of macbook air is of lost when used everyday. when i started using the larger rmbp i noticed the weight and the larger footprint. its the larger foot print that i notice most.

7. kpdillon macrumors member

So for portability I will go back to relying on my iPhone. The "cloud" needs to mature a bunch to the point where we can pick up any piece of metal and pick up exactly where we left off with data, last viewed screen, apps etc. We're still at least a few years out before that happens but it will come.

I'm sure it will be an adjustment lugging a heavier bigger machine around but I do believe I'll adjust. We'll see.

8. rlantagne21 macrumors newbie

Had been using a 2011 13" MBA since it was released last year. Sold it (received an offer I couldn't pass up) and picked up a 2012 13" MBA 256gb when it was released in June.

I kept going back and forth if I should spend the extra money for the rMBP, after all, I noticed ML seemed to be a bit more resource hungry than Lion was and wasn't sure if the 4gb would cut it. I ended up swapping out my 2012 MBA for the rMBP and I couldn't be happier with it. While I don't do anything to demanding on the computer, I wanted something with a larger screen, but refused to buy a 15" cMBP after being so used to SSD's (didn't feel like going through the hassle of replacing the HDD with an SSD, plus it would have almost put me at the price of the rMBP anyways).

Long story short, I am extremely satisfied having switched from a MBA to the rMBP.

-An extremely happy rMBP owner :D

9. richlee111 macrumors regular

Just did my switch over the weekend. Had a 2012 11" Air that I got in June. Great machine and soooo portable. but in the end, the lack of screen real estate and the heat/fan got to me. My base rMBP does everything smoother, faster, and better. Overall, it just doesn't seem to be straining so much as the Air. Couldn't be happier:)