Went swimming with iPhone 3G, options??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidg4781, Jul 21, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I was on vacation and hopped in the pool with an AT&T iPhone 3G. I was in there for a few minutes before remembering it was in my pocket so it was pretty well soaked. So far I've stuck it in a box of rice and may pop that in the oven to help heat it up.

I did try opening it up but couldn't figure out how. I need up putting a few scratches new the screw holes. Other than that it was in prestige condition.

Now what are my options? I'm currently a Sprint customer and was only using this as a GoPhone for the times I'm out of coverage. I'm also planning on switching to AT&T and was going to use this until the new iPhone comes out.

I can sell this on eBay as is. I haven't checked prices. Apple also has on their site they'll repair (I'm guessing replace with a refurb) for $150. I can then use that or sell it, but again I haven't done much research on what that will bring.

Any other thoughts?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd keep it in the rice for a couple of days and see if that works.

3. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Don't turn the device on.. If you try to turn it on while there is water inside the device, you can fry the logic and end up with a paper-weight.

Find a video that will show you how to open the device. Remove the battery. Clean connection points with highly concentrated Isopropyl Alcohol (I would recommend 99%.) Let the alcohol evaporate, which shouldn't take long at all.

Place the device in rice or silica gel for at least 24hrs.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried disassembling it again and don't have the right tools with me. I'm really thinking I may just either sell it or have it "repaired" by Apple.

Any suggestions either way? if I have Apple repair it I can have a brand new 3G to use with AT&T until the 5S launches. It won't have iCloud though. If I sell it now I can buy a 3GS whenever we switch to AT&T and have access to iCloud along with a faster phone, but it may have battery and other issues.

Apple charges $150 for repair and brand new ones are selling on eBay for $150. Looks like water damaged ones are selling for about $35.