Went through 5 iPads... kept the best one

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mzjin, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

If there are any prospective new buyers in here, I would really recommend you go into a store and compare the display iPads next to each other.

You will see a gamut from yellows to pinks to purples.

I found 2 display models in my store that had excellent neutral greys, comparing very well to my iPhone 4S.

Unfortunately, even after opening up 5 different iPads, I could only find one that wasn't horrifically uneven or tinted, and kept that one. It's warmer and on the slightly yellower side, but I'll deal with it.

Best whites so far I've seen are on my 27" iMac and iPhone 4S. If you own a new iPad, do NOT compare it to your iMac or iPhone 4S. You WILL want to throw it out the window.

Max Brightness on my 27" 2011 iMac - Apple website pulled up - Compared to Max Brightness on new iPad - Apple website pulled up - makes me want to throw up on how awful the iPad display looks. Just horrendous.

Using it by itself, allows one to breath again.

2. Macgeeza macrumors regular

Exchange it for one with a 'DY' at the start of the serial number, people are saying on here that these ones are new batch and they have good screens. Search for the thread and see what they are saying.

3. Macgeeza macrumors regular

Here is a link to the DY screen thread, I'm going back to the apple store as soon as I'm off work to get one of these new ones with the screen issues fixed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1362769

4. fel10 macrumors 65816

fel10

These people also work hard for their money, and if they are not satisfied with a product they spent hundreds of dollars on, that is not perfect from day 1, they have the right to be picky.

Edit: apparently the person I quoted got his post deleted.

5. mzjin thread starter macrumors 6502

mzjin

So found dust under the screen on this one when I went to clean the screen to install the screen protector.

UGH.

Onto the 6th...

6. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

this seems to be quite common, i have been through 8, all with dead pixels or dust under the screen. My current one (DY serial) has a piece of dust and a dead pixel, but for $1000, I really don't want to settle for something that is clearly defined as a manufacturing defect.

7. mcdj, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

[​IMG]

Congratulations! You're the lucky 10,000th person to type the letters "OCD" this month on MacRumors! Not only are you officially SUPER CLEVER, but you've just won a brand new iPad, with a pink, green and yellow screen, 26 dead pixels, intermittent wifi, uneven lighting, backlight bleed, gaps in the display seal, and a few scratches on the back. All you pay is $399.95 shipping and handling, cash, check, or OCD...oops, COD.

8. Gol27 macrumors regular

Legend.. That's all I have to add lol.

9. maliu macrumors 6502a

10. mtj111 macrumors member

1 or 2 dead pixels on a 9.7" screen is not considered a manufacturing defect - it is within spec.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/05/apples-dead-pixel-policy-leaks-out-up-to-15-anomalies-accepta/

11. NoMoreSony macrumors member

12. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

I think if i get an iPad now, it will have to be iPad 2, too many problems with the new one.

13. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Going to go for my iPad today. Hopefully all works out for me and I don't have all the hassle you people report on. I will check for DY and compare to the show room models in store.

14. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

It took some getting used to but I prefer the warmer whites now :( not too yellow, but enough to skew away from the blue whites.

15. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

16. Selmir macrumors member

Selmir

Idk why new iPad has such much trouble with this scrn. I didn't even bother to check out my iPad 2 when it popped up here in Europe in march last year. I saw that Apple Store in Ireland had a lot of white ones, so I made a order and got one from Ireland. A big risk but life is risky ;-)

Nothing wrong with it, no yellow, blue or purple tint what so ever. Was Apple sloppy this time?

17. VFC macrumors 6502a

The best ones have all the above plus dust under the screen...... I guess you are saving that one for the 100,000th person who types OCD.

18. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

19. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

Nice mcdj! :D

20. Marli macrumors regular

I hope apple is keeping an eye on theses people who need to go through numbers of iPads to get a "good one".

They just make it more expensive for us normal people :)

21. seadragon, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Nice! This looks like the reaction of someone who just won the screen lottery.

I think Apple should start keeping an eye on the screens coming out of their factories instead of their customers that have to take time out of their busy days to return these things.

Personally, I gave up after 4 and won't buy another one until I see evidence that QC has improved.

Sent from my Original iPad with a perfect screen

22. The Special One, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

The Special One macrumors member

I would have done the same as my original is also fine cept that the memory isn't enough. Sooo, I'm stuck with a screen that is far from "Resolutionary" after two returns. My question for all of the fanboys is, when you get two that look putrid even in the opinion of the Apple genius which are swapped immediately and the third while better has the same issue, isn't that an indication of a product problem? That has NEVER happened to me with any other electronic or other product. This screen just isn't ready to be massed produced with good QC yet. Hence the problems and the reason why getting a good screen seems to be the luck of the lottery draw.

23. mzjin thread starter macrumors 6502

mzjin

Won the lottery on the 6th!

Great screen, warmer than my iPhone but still fairly neutrally grey. No issues with dust or dead pixels.

/Happy camper

24. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I somewhat disagree with this statement mainly because most 4s models I have seen have been very yellow and speaking from experience my iPad 3 is far whiter than my gf's 4S.