Went through /two/ Apple USB power adaptors in a week! D:

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iParis, Jan 6, 2013.

  1. iParis macrumors 68040

    iParis

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #1
    A little over a week ago the power adaptor that came with my iPhone just stopped working one morning. No idea why. Tried all other outlets and my lightning cord worked with a LG USB power adaptor I had laying around. On Thursday I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced it without question. Yesterday there was a bunch of static whenever I'd go back to my iPhone while it was charging, though there was still static other days. One of the several times it shocked me when picking it up it just stopped charging then after that the wall adaptor ceased to work once again! I could take it in again, but I don't want it to break for a third time. Anybody else have this happen or suggestions on how to prevent it? Hopefully it's not something wrong with my iPhone.
     
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #2
    Any other strange electrical issues at your house? I'd be more worried about the home's wiring than the phone.
     
  3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

    AppleDApp

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    #3
    Have you tried different outlets with the new power adaptor?
     
  4. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

    iParis

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #4
    True. I did have two bulbs go out a month ago which I'd assume they were just burnt out, but they went out at the exact same time. There isn't as much static with the LG charger though. Maybe next time I'll just make sure to use the Apple charger with a different outlet. If this keeps happening I'll have to have my poor excuse for a landlord look at it.

    Just tried a different outlet, didn't work.
     
  5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #5
    Try a different circuit all together if possible.
     
  6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

    AlphaDogg

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Boulder, CO
    #6
    Have your landlord bring an electrician over. That doesn't sound normal.
     
  7. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

    iParis

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #7
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means. Which really sucks because it's probably helpful information.

    ----------

    I'm living with my grandpa right now, so I'll suggest that to him. But yeah, that's sketchy. I don't want all my stuff to stop working altogether.
     
  8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #8
    All outlets are connected to a circuit breaker. You can tell which ones are on the same circuit because if a breaker trips, a set of outlets and lights go out. I'm probably explaining this very poorly. :eek:


    That being said, let's not jump to the conclusion that all your wiring is bad. It was just a suggestion to keep an eye on all electrical appliances and see if a pattern of strange things is happening.
     
  9. buddybd macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    #9
    Yea pretty clear it's an electrical issue. I had some a month ago, every other apartment in the complex was fine and only ours had issues. We lost 3 bulbs, and our dishwasher, so make sure the same doesn't happen to you.

    Apparently the issue has been there for a while, and only recently started to act up. It went to the point that all lights were fluctuating and we had to run around and unplug everything we could.
     
  10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

    AlphaDogg

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Boulder, CO
    #10
    I'm very lucky I've never ever had electrical problems with my house. I have a surge protector on every circuit coming off of the breaker, and a surge protector on my home theater (doubt you could even call it that, but that's what the surge protector is marketed for). The home theater surge protector has a volt meter and I've never seen it drop below 115v @60Hz. In fact, it's often at around 122v @60Hz. Denver has really good electrical infrastructure, with no brownouts.
     
  11. bandityo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    #11
    I have had my original cable shock me just charging from usb port on computer...wondering if anyone else has gotten a little shock by theirs ?
     

Share This Page