Went to buy a Time Capsule...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xGrill, Dec 10, 2009.

1. xGrill macrumors member

I went to Best Buy to buy a Time Capsule today since my external HD died and when I went to pick one up, I noticed two things.

1) The price at Best Buy right now is 329.99 and at Apple retail it is only 299.99.
    2) The model number was the first generation (MB277LL/A) and the current model is MC343LL/A.

So I asked the computer assistant there, and he went to the computer and saw that they will not be getting any more of the MC343LL/A model and that it store and that the model is probably discontinued.

Does that mean that Apple will be releasing a new Time Capsule in the near future, maybe to fix the 18 month glitch?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It wouldn't seem too unlikely to see a new Time Capsule at the time of the notebook refresh.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Considering all the problems regarding "dying" Time Capsules lately, why would anyone "in the know" be interested in buying one, when there are better (i.e., something that has a lifespan longer than 18 months) options available?

4. mkaake macrumors 65816

Because in spite of the reports, many a TC are still working flawlessly? Because it's a clean integrated solution for NAS (in a somewhat limited function), automated backups, wireless N, and a wireless print server? Because it's easy to set up and use?

Some people are willing to pay for that.

Anyhew, still putzing along fine and dandy on my 1st gen 500gig TC, bought shortly after they came out...

5. duky macrumors 6502

Same here. Mine is starting to breathe more loudly though and making a strange cycling noise with the light blinking amber even though nothing is wrong with it (i.e. wifi/ethernet/hourly backups on three computers all work perfectly fine when it does this). So I'm going to take it in for a checkup..

6. wcbrownhound macrumors newbie

wcbrownhound

I went and looked at one of these today. You can find them on line for $275.00 With free shipping and no sales tax. Best Buys will price match almost anything reasonable. Now after reading some of this I am a little gun shy. Should I be? I use a Linksys router now with no problems. I had a thread on here about Ext HDs so now I will have to think some more.:confused::confused::confused: