Went to the Apple Store...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LadyHoneyBabe, Mar 27, 2010.

1. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

I just got back from the Apple store and the sales guy said this:

1. They stopped taking pre-orders yesterday and if you didn't order one, good luck in getting one.

2. They have hundreds of pre-orders.

3. No one can just walk in to buy other products and bypass the line.

4. They will have all the accessories available, including the iPad dock.

5. They will hold all pre orders until the line is gone or 3PM; whichever is longer.

6. This launch won't be like the iPhone launch because everyone will be standing in a queue/line. The sales person will get the first person in line, help them get whatever they want, ring them up and then help the next person in line. So the only people in the store are the ones the sales people are helping from the line. No one can just walk into the store until the salesperson gets them.

2. PlayHard macrumors member

Actually, this is how my store did it for the iPhone. They wouldn't let anyone in except people buying the phone and you were assigned a person to work with. They wouldn't let anyone in unless they were buying a phone. I know several customers who wanted either the Genius Bar or to buy other products weren't happy and were very loud about it.

I'm curious though if they really mean all the accessories, like the camera connection kit.

3. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

I don't work at Apple anymore, but when I did they always planned to have a section of the store blocked off for iXX launch/orders and the rest of the store was available for mac/iPod purchases. It just doesn't make sense to close the whole store and turn would be customers away.

Maybe Ron Johnson has changed...

4. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

That's exactly what my local Apple store did at the iPhone 3Gs launch. They only let people in that were planning on purchasing the phone. I was NOT happy that day as it's about a 30 minute drive to the Apple store for me. I wanted to look around...guess I should've gone another day. :)

5. paulisme macrumors 6502

The Apple Store in my city did Black Friday that way. It's a good system.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

EVERY accessory? Including the camera connection kit?

7. MacVDS macrumors regular

Don't you think he might have meant reserved orders? I thought preorders involved paying upfront. They wouldn't sell presold units that someone already paid for would they?

8. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Obviously thats what he means.....

9. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

really!

this site really needs some new emoticons.

10. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

The only accessory I specifically asked for was the dock. I didn't ask him about the camera connection and I don't know if they're only for those who reserved the accessories with their iPad order.

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

This is how the apple store nearest to me did it as well for 3GS.

Had the right side of the store blocked off for iPhone and that was also where the iPhone accessories were. That way once you were called you could handle everything right there.

I really don't see a whole store getting closed off for iPad.

We'll find out soon enough though.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

What a bunch of BS buddy.. This dumbo at the Apple store doesn't know crap, and you said "hundreds" of pre-orders? More like hundreds of thousands.

13. jedolley macrumors 68000

I think they meant hundreds at that particular store.

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Doesn't make any sense, pre-orderes are no related to stores.

15. jedolley macrumors 68000

Pre-orders = reserved at the store. The OP went to her local Apple store and was given details on how they are handling launch day and during the conversation the employee stated their store had "hundreds" of pre-orders/reservations.

At least this is how I understood the post.

16. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on Maui

No Apple Store here, only a Apple retailer

They said they will not have stock and may have a demo on the 3rd no guarantees

The closest Apple Store is on another island Oahu 30 minutes away by airplane

And you guys think you got problems :eek:

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Pre-Orders and Reserves are 2 different things, that's what he is trying to say. The guy meant RESERVES not Pre-Orders.

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

At least you have fresh coconuts :p

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I curious to know if their was any truth to the rumor that came out a few weeks ago that said that Apple will be giving out a special gift for those who arrive early next saturday morning?

as much as I tell myself that I have till 3pm to pick-up my iPad, I know I will arrive between 7-8am to wait in line and even though I'm not expecting anything free (maybe a water bottle or coffee like past events), I'm curious if anyone has asked an Apple Employee this question.

20. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

If they will hand out a few things don't expect much. Just a t-shirt :)

21. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, but you also live in fracking Hawaii. So eat my shorts! Lol. :D

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

thats kind of what I was hoping for. I have a Mac OS X Leopard t-shirt, a Grand Opening of an Apple Store t-shirt (Modesto, Ca 2008), and a "I Visited the Mothership" t-shirt from Apple Campus, so I think it would be cool to have an iPad launch t-shirt.

unless they mean we will get the iPad in a special bag just like the iPhone launch.

23. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

And I'm waiting for the 3G late April or May? :confused:

[​IMG]

24. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

The guy said that's how they did it for the iPhone, but they were told it's not going to be like that for the iPad. No one goes in unless the sales person gets them. I asked him if I could just come in that day to buy accessories, and he said, not without getting in line.

This may not happen at all the Apple stores, but it will at the one I went to today.

Hundreds were reserved at that particular store and that was just an estimate. Bottom line, it's more inventory than usually have (of course).

He said people were coming in there today trying to reserve an iPad and found out it's too late.

25. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

+1

I've never been to Maui (plan to hit it next time), but the Big Island was amazing, and that's something coming from someone who lives in FL. There are plenty of people for whom an Apple Store is more than a $50/30 minute plane ride away. :) I guess you just pre-order like all of those people, and then you can enjoy your ipad while sitting under a palm tree, while the ocean breeze cools you from the perpetually 80 degree weather. Heh. Not much sympathy here either! :)