Went to the Dark Side

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kvyoung, Dec 28, 2015.

1. kvyoung macrumors member

Well, after wanting a retina MacBook 12 for the longest time but not being able to justify the $1,549 base price in Canada, I just went to the dark side and purchased the ASUS UX305CA instead. Got a great deal I couldn't pass up. I paid $649 Canadian with an additional $50 in store credit so works out to $599 vs the $1,549 MacBook. While the MacBook still wins on overall weight (about 1 lbs lighter) and quality, the ASUS has a Skylake Core M processor, QHD+ 3600x1800 touch screen and is just as thin as the MacBook.

2. double329 macrumors 6502

How do you like the Asus? I am thinking about something along that line also. I picked up the rMB and returned it after a week due to Cpu performance. I am waiting for new refresh and I hope to see some improvements.

3. kvyoung thread starter macrumors member

Haven't received it yet as I just ordered it online today. All indicators are that there is only a 15% increase in performance with the Skylake processor. I'm not looking for a powerhouse though. From the reviews I've read, it is supposed to be a decent machine but it lacks the backlit keyboard of the MacBook and is heavier in part because of the multi-touch screen. The MacBook also has a better trackpad. There are some definite tradeoffs going this route, but for the $900 difference in price, I can live with them.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Certainly seems a well balanced laptop at that price point

Yes the rMB is no bargain for those on a budget I think your Asus is more a contender for the MBA than the rMB, not that it matters :)

Did you consider the SP4 M3 at all and is the KB backlit

5. kvyoung, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

kvyoung thread starter macrumors member

I could afford the MacBook but as I have several other computers it didn't make a lot of sense spending that much.

The specs for the laptops:

MacBook 12 - 11.04" x 7.74" x .52" - 2.03 pounds
    MacBook Air 13 - 12.8" x 8.94" x .68" - 2.96 Pounds
    UX305CA - 12.76" x 8.89" x .48" - 3.02 pounds

You are right, dimensions are closer to the Air but the UX305 is thinner.

I didn't consider the SP4 because I work quite often with a laptop on my lap and the kickstand on the SP is not great in that regard. I also have a Thinkpad Yoga and an iPad Air 2 if I need tablet capabilities. KB is not backlit unfortunately.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Seems a strange not to include the backlight, still enjoy :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, you really don't know how great of a feature that is, until its gone. The original type-cover keyboard for the SP3 did not have backlit keys and I struggled in using it in darker rooms. That features was probably the main motivation in buying the SP4 type-cover.

8. kvyoung thread starter macrumors member

Yes, backlighting is a great feature, but I have other equipment with it I can use when working in the dark. According to one review I read, don't know if this is actually legit, because of how thin the device is and they wanted to retain reasonable key travel on the keyboard backlighting wouldn't fit. Not sure if that is fact or not but I know apple redesigned their keyboard on the MacBook and has less key travel in order to fit. I have a USB light that I can run off of one of the three USB-3 ports if I really need to use it in the dark.

9. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Curious, what were you doing with it that the performance didn't keep up with? I just bought one yesterday and am giving it a little trial run to decide if I will be hanging on to the MBP or sell that and keep this.

Expectedly, I am seeing it to be a little slower, but not so noticeably in everything I am doing.

10. Z3man macrumors 6502a

When you say the MB is little slower, is that just on heavy duty tasks, or is that on light duty tasks as well.

I have the MB and the rMBP as well and find no difference on speed between the two on anything, but i am just a light duty user.

11. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

The heavier duty tasks, I did a quick edit on a short video in FCPX for instance. I think any lag at that point was also file indexing in the background. Nothing at all significant though.

12. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Agreed I was considering the Vaio Canvas but that's the same and KB is permanently detached so opted for a SP4

I know it,s relatively trivial but it's one of those things that aggravates you. I seem to recall it was a while until the MBA had a backlight I think the MBP got it first on my sons one

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its one of those things that really enhances or detracts for your user experience as you use the laptop (or tablet) in varying locations and conditions

14. Berryal macrumors newbie

Berryal

The Type Cover 3 has backlit keys.

I turned away from Apple a good couple years ago now. If only they'd release something similar to the Surface Pro, something like a rMB crossed with an iPad Pro. But instead, I'm sticking with my Surface Pro 3 + Type Cover 4.

Also, in the post-jobs era, Apple make some bizarre design choices.

15. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Whaaaa the Apple purists will chop you in to little pieces for even thinking such a thing :)

I totally agree though as much as I like the rMB I also have a SP4 and if TC wants further steps towards mobile OS I can't see anything for the Mac line up outside thinner/smaller/lighter

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine never lit up :(

The SP4 keyboard is vastly superior to the older generation and I have no regrets but as I just said, I never saw the keyboard light up

17. Three141, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016

Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I left the MacBook pro line for the Surface pro 2 which is still running strong, I can't see myself coming back to Mac due to software compatibility with work files i'll be looking to upgrade to the 4 or 5 in upgrade window.

I was thinking maybe Apple might do something un-expected with the MacBook Air and finally make a OSX tablet with that line of naming.

I think back to when MS released the Surface RT which confused the bells out of non-tech crowd Apple would not make a mistake thus leaving the Ipad line as the IOS line of products.
    Leaving the 'air' which to me just means lightest in that particular category a tablet with accessories suiting the moniker of the 'lightest' OSX product apple sell which would appease all as the retina MacBook comes down in price.

18. Berryal macrumors newbie

Berryal

Apple purists should have a go on a Surface Pro 4 :p but I used to love my MacBook (white unibody late 2009), it just can't do all the things I need my laptop to be able to (mainly, use a digitizer and a few windows-exclusive apps). I love my Surface Pro 3 now :D and the Type cover 4 has brought the keyboard accessories up to close-to-apple standards! The trackpad has been especially improved. Though, I haven't tried the new apple trackpads with.. whatever its called.. force choke/super click/you know.

Yes, the SP4 keyboard is a HUGE improvement, it really makes it much more viable as an actual laptop replacement IMO. They did have backlights, as did my SP2 type cover, it was okay, but the keyboard was just very mushy and the SP2 trackpad is HORRIFIC. Like, the worst trackpad I have ever seen/used. It's truly dreadful.

I loved my SP2 while I used it, but I cut its life short because of the poor keyboard/trackpad. I could imagine going back to Macs in the future if Apple release something like a SP2! I could put up with using bootcamp for some things, but a digitizer and a touchscreen is a MUST. I agree that the Air line should be turned into a tablet/laptop line, that's an excellent idea :)

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No argument there, I've been using my SP3 now for the past few days as I'm away with the family and I'm typing on the SP4 keyboard right now :)

20. Berryal macrumors newbie

Berryal

Please don't hate me everybody, but, this trackpad is actually reminding me of the one I used to have on my MacBook those 3 years ago :oops: Not quite as good, but close. Very impressive considering it's an extremely thin detachable keyboard though!

21. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I've never used the official keyboard cover for my SP2 just a USB one and I thought I was missing out but sounds like I dodged a bullet.
    I liked my 2011 13"MBP which I used to bootcamp into Windows but I found battery life, trackpad optimisation and the fans (oh gosh the fans) were poorly optimised; I bought the Macbook as at the time IMO all Windows laptops were poor quality and plagued with either bloatware/driver issues.

If they come up with the 'MacBook Air tablet' which is full OSX in order for me to switch back would depend on how well windows runs on it, I do admit there is something about using a mac for leisure that makes it 'feel good' that windows can't seem to capture and of course love their designs.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

PC trackpads for whatever reason are always horrible, the SP4's typecover's trackpad is better then the SP3's, yet it does not come close to what we have on the Mac side

23. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Multi fingers aside I find tapping opposed to clicking (which is hard) makes its a more pleasant experience, but yes close but not close enough to Macbook

24. double329 macrumors 6502

I was not doing anything heavy duty. Simple day to day web browsing, email, just light work. I can noticed that webpage can be little slow to refresh(Not instant) the page depending on page content. I sometime selected multiple emails to delete and few other delete there after, it was slow enough I sometime ended up delete more than what I was doing, I had to undelete email in many cases. Simple thing like that. Perhaps, I was spoiled by the fact that I am coming from rMBP i7 and 27 iMac where things happened instantly. I have 2010 MBA 13 that I am still using when I am out and about. My old MBA can do as well as 2015 rMB in many cases better. I bought rMB to replace my 2010 MBA. Unfortunately, I didn't gain much with rMB. I do like the form factor and screen. I will see when Apple refresh rMB, I will give it a try again.

25. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Strangely I had similar observations with emails etc when I played exclusively with my rMB but when I used higher spec laptops my perception changed.

Firstly there had been major changes in OS upgrades and software coinciding and secondly other settling in factors where still occurring on my new rMB

I also noted that my me/icloud account synching issues had gotten worse recently

Therefore I concluded there were other factors involved outside the rMB ability to perform such relatively small tasks, often my higher spec laptop exhibit similar behavior or a gave the impression of, as it's only a feeling given how brief/snappy the timings are.