WEP Client on AEBS WPA network using Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aviddk, Jan 23, 2010.

1. aviddk macrumors regular

I would like to add a wireless device that uses WEP to my WPA Airport Extreme Base Station network. Is there any way to use an Airport Express and WDS to allow mixed password protocols? Or will the AE only accept WPA like the base station? Failing this idea does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im sorry but even in WDS the device will still need to be WPA compatible. :(

you could create another network using the 2nd router?

3. aviddk thread starter macrumors regular

That is what it looked like at a WDS how-to with screen shots that I reviewed before posting. I couldn't be sure without actually purchasing the Airport Express and seeing for myself.

My option is using a wired device with Poe to energize it.

Thanks for your help.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can connect the Express to the Extreme using Ethernet and turn Connection Sharing off on the Express. This sets it to Bridge Mode and allows it to be a secondary wireless access point. WEP security could be set on the SSID created by the Express to allow the WEP client to join your network.

5. aviddk thread starter macrumors regular

After further review, I think your suggestion to create a second network with an additional router is much simpler. Instead of a Airport Express I will purchase a new Airport Extreme and use it as the main router. I recently set up a new Airport Extreme for a friend and it seems much snappier than mine. It could be solely due to the ability to run dual bands. Thanks again.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it seems to be the most logical way to do it, but have you thought about MAC address blocking and creating an open network?