WEP Encryption Needed but Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The Valeyard, May 10, 2009.

1. The Valeyard macrumors member

I need a WEP encryption to connect to my DS and my computer but it doesn't work. I am currently using WPA. I had no trouble using next door's unprotected wireless network to connect with my DS but once I changed rooms, I was no longer in range so I need WEP encryption. I keep getting an error on my computer saying that there was an error when joining the network.

Here is the router configuration window:
    [​IMG]

So I type in my passphrase and I get the error. How can I bypass this? And what is the difference between a passphrase and a key?

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Your DS can connect to WPA networks. Why do you want to change your network to WEP?

WEP can be cracked in a fraction of a second.

What is the exact error message?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, the DS can only connect to WEP currently, unfortunately. And it takes more than a split second to crack it. The SSID can be set not to broadcast as well so it's much harder for someone to even know the signal is out there.

OP:
    Make sure the setup is set to accept 802.22b signals. You'll want to enter a key not the passphrase, I believe.

Here's some Nintendo documentation.

Here's a long thorough FAQ to get setup.

Good luck.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Dont use passphrase!!! Use keys!!!!

Sorry had to get that out there in a hurry. Passphrases usually only work if you install all the crap software that comes with your router. keys are much more universal.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You're right, I must have misread something.

It depends how much data is captured. With ~300,000 IVs, it can take a fraction of a second to crack. Never more than about 10 seconds. To collect enough IVs, it can take anywhere between 2 minutes and a few hours, it depends on the equipment the attacker has.

No, software that collects data from networks to crack them automatically reveals the SSID in seconds, and takes no effort on the part of the attacker.

Yes, try both the passphrase AND the hex key.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If they don't know the network exist, why would they try to go after it?

7. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

just because the SSID isn't broadcasting doesn't mean the network doesn't show up to a hacker, oh they can still see it, see its channel, strength, even collect packets, they just cant see its name, or ESSID. But its still no problem to hack.

Its a simple matter for Nintendo to enable WPA support in the DS, they're very unresponisble by not doing this.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, I'm very aware of all that, but why would a hacker bother doing it when there are much easier targets (rhetorical)? They have to get rather close to your home to do any of this as well, which decreases the likeliness of someone hacking your network. This mini topic is detracting from the original post so I'm done unless the OP has further questions.

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

They run a piece of software called Kismet, picks up signals from all nearby access points and lists them. It uses traffic being sent from one computer to another to reveal the SSID.

WEP is easy.

10. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Usually locked doors have something valuable behind them. ;)

We have a DS in the household, and as a compromise, what I do is have a predefined configuration file that has WEP as the security, and load that up to the router whenever I need to get the DS online (usually it's just for a few minutes for an update). Then I have upload my normal config and go back to WPA. In this manner, the router in only insecure for a few minutes every now and then. Of course, depending on population density, or if you use the DS a lot, you many not want to take such an approach.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1

Most linux distros have the option built in to "view hidden networks". I'm not a linux guru by any means I just know its on two of the distros I play around with.

Oh, and it works just fine by the way.

As far as breaking WEP most people will have something like Airsnort or whatever the new thing is out now. It has to sniff so many packets then it can guess the key. It can take awhile but still.

12. The Valeyard thread starter macrumors member

Keys not working

:( The keys are not working. I've tried them all. What am I doing wrong? Please talk me through ALL the steps.

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Did you look through the links I gave? They're pretty detailed.