WEP for Airport ExPress

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macspeed, Apr 30, 2011.

1. macspeed macrumors newbie

I ahve an older HP wireless printer. The Printer is asking for a WEP for the network 13 or 26 characters. Where can I find the AE WEP?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

WEP is very insecure... and I would not use WEP for my wireless network security. All contemporary equipment (I think since 2004) supports WPA2. I would ditch the old printer before I lowered my security to WEP. Alternatively, I would attach it via wire to your router, or via USB to one computer and then share it.

/Jim

3. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

use the airport utility to activate wep on your network and/or assign a wep keyphrase. if you set up your network then you should know the keyphrase you created.

4. cube macrumors G5

You must not use WEP. Change the printer if it doesn't support WPA, or connect it by cable.

5. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

ok, whatever these guys are saying. wep is evil and you cannot even use it temporarily.

disregard my post.

6. macspeed thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if can I extend my A express wireless network with another A express at the printer to connect with usb?

7. cube macrumors G5

I know you can create a wireless bridge to connect ethernet devices, but I never looked into the USB.

8. cube macrumors G5

Besides the bridged mode, I imagine if you use the Airport Express normally to extend a wireless network, the USB printer should work.