wep or wap to fix internet speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scboxa, Jun 9, 2011.

1. scboxa macrumors member

My new mbp 2011 has really slow connect speeds for youtube and just general browsing. Its not my ISP because my other 2 pc's in the house work fine and yes I even tried with both them of them off. I have utorrent but I turn it off. Ive tried DNSserver that didnt really work, btw is DNS even safe and secure?. Ive read that OSX dosent really support WEP and that it dosent use all its resources and that I should change it to WAP?.

speedtest shows 15ms 1.87mbs(download) upload is 0.29

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

You should be using WPA2 for security reasons alone. Wireless speeds are influenced by a lot of factors including the quality of your router, router settings, distance from router, interference, etc...

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

WPA2 is more secure than WEP, but it won't help your issue.

4. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

interference and distance isnt a problem. so what your saying is my mac is reacting differently to the type of router i currently have?. because myother pc's run just fine. youtube videos are virtually unplayable sometimes and browsing lags incredibly for the most part. is there a specific router that i should look at buying?

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I would try connecting your laptop to your network with an ethernet cable. If you see the same speeds that a good indication that the wireless is fine. If the speeds improve you might have a wireless issue. alt-clicking on the airport icon will help you see the connection speed, signal strength, channel and more.

Also, wep isn't going to help your speed unless you have a very old router. As has been already recommended, you should be using at least wpa2 for basic wireless network security.

6. AFPoster macrumors 68000

There is also an issue with these 2011 MBP's that apple has noted they are working on a fix for with wi-fi being weak and disconnecting even if you're 5 ft from the router. I use an Airport Extreme (firmware updated, etc) and my new 2011 MBP still disconnects a couple times a week. Apple said Lion should fix it.

7. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

i have a old dlink 802.11g 2.4ghz is that a factor aswell. I will try the ethernet conneciton.

8. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

ok so i connected ethernet and the connection is so much faster. im assuming its my router?. and how would i go about changing my password to a wap2. under airport it says its wep but under the 802.1x it has a wap2 option to configure.

9. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

What kind of router do you have? You can probably access it by going to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of whatever browser you use. From there, you'll be able to change the security to WPA2. Also, make sure your router has the latest firmware. Are you using wireless A/B/G/N?

10. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

i have a 802.11g di524 2.4ghz fairly old id say.

11. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

That's an extremely old router. It's been discontinued since 2008 and you probably had it much longer than that. Any chance you can purchase a new router? That's probably the problem. On the bright side, if it's not, just return the router and get your money back.

12. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

yeah i had this since 06 i beleive? and buying a new router shouldnt be a problem, do you recommend any good ones on a reasonable budget?...forking out for a ssd and mem atm aswell haha.

13. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

get a refurbished WNDR3700 from Tiger Direct or Amazon.

14. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

WPA and WPA2 are much better in terms of security but they [theoretically] slow down the connection more than WEP does.

Your connection speed may depend on your router as well. As someone suggested above, try using an ethernet cable (run it directly from modem into the notebook) and see if you get improved speeds.

If yes, then it's your router's fault and you should probably try and get a new one.
    If not, then it's your ISP's fault and the only hing you can do is suck it up or switch to a different (better) ISP.

Hope that helps you resolve the issue :)

15. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

what about a lyksys n router with speed boost 79.99. i appreciate the buy tip but i really just want to go out and buy one locally right now lol.

16. scboxa, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

scboxa thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys i appreciate the help. im pretty sure its the router, ill buy a new one and see what happens

17. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I personally like D-Link routers. Get anything with wireless N and you'll be golden. Speedboost on Linksys is kind of a joke. You have to have a speedboost router + speedboost adapter on your computer for it to actually work.

Good luck :cool:

To add, if you have network questions, a great forum to check out is dslreports.com. Great group of guys that are always willing to help you out.

18. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Linksys E1000 ($50)
    or the newer
    Linksys E1200 ($50)
    or for something more high performance
    Linksys E1500 ($70)

19. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a