WEP or WPA security

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlee, Jun 17, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

WEP provides very little security - can be broken very easily with packet sniffers. WPA2 is the way to go if you want security.

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends what your computers are compatible with, I know that WPA is more secure than WEP but WEP is more has less compatible issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

WPA and WPA2 are better, and you should be able to at least use WPA on most devices these days, but it's best to check. Windows especially has difficulties with the newer WPA and WPA2 standards sometimes. I had to enable WPA on a 4-year old Toshiba and it was a nightmare, however I managed it...

Not so much a problem with the expresses, but with the extremes currently shipping: make sure your not on channel 13 if you want to connect a windows box to it, as windows machines sometimes can't see channel 13, as I found out myself one long day.

5. brandon6684 Guest

If your clients support WPA, go with that. WEP is so easily cracked, it shouldn't even be considered security, it just gets in the way slightly. WEP is like closing to door to your house, it may keep somebody from just wandering in, but doesn't do much to stop people who want to get in.