WEP Password...how do i find out what it is?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mizzi, Jun 22, 2008.

1. mizzi macrumors member

first off, my sincerest apologies if something similar has been posted. i did a quick search but i didnt find anything.

Basically, i'm running a powerbook G4 over an airport express. I'm using Tiger. My girlfriend recently moved in and she has a PC laptop. we also recently got a some gaming systems but to gain internet access on any of those systems i'm being asked my WEP password in order to join the network.

same goes for her PC.

how/where do i find out what that password is?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

<3Mark

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Go to System Preferences->Networks. Somewhere under there you can show details of your wireless network and one of the options is to show password.

3. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

I think the problem is that he does not have the password or it was forgotten. The feature you are referring to displays the password as you type it in as opposed to showing asterisks to cloak it from prying eyes. There is nowhere I can see to reveal a password previously entered.

4. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

within airport admin utility i can see where one would enter the wep password however its all black dots :(

its 128 bit and i remember something about hexidecimal or something. sorry, i'm not too up on this part of computer knowledge.

so i'm probably in a decent place, so...can i just make a new network with a new wep password? arent they like 26 characters long? i dont remember doing this when i first got this set up. i just remember picking the text-ish password to log in.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, you can. I just opened it up on my mac, where I entered the WEP password 2 years ago, and if I click show password the asterisks change to what the password actually is.

6. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

and this is for the wep password? where exactly did you go after going to system preferences and network?

7. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Open the Keychain Access program in the utilities folder. You should see a list of all the saved passwords on your computer. Find the one that matches your network name, double click on it, and click the show password checkbox. It should ask you for your computer's password. Put that in, click allow, and it should show you what the wep password is.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have Leopard, so it might be different for tiger, but I selected Airport, then I selected Advanced, then I chose my wireless network name and got the details of that.

9. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

10. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

I looked in the Keychain app and it is viewable there, but could find nothing under the network preferences. So I guess keychain is the method you used?

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, System Preferences->Network->Airport->Advanced->Click on little pencil looking thing->Show password.

12. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Never mind I found out how you did it within Network preferences.

13. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

That's strange... This is what I get when I try that. (Oddly it doesn't even have the correct number of * )

Attached Files:

14. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

You have to select airport from the left column of the network pref pane, then click advanced, then make sure airport is selected and add your network to the preferred networks list. After that you can select it and reveal the password.

Took me a little while to figure what he was looking at.

15. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Hmmm... that's what I did. It really doesn't matter, i was just kind of curious what was going on.

Attached Files: