WEP password

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ladyjanex50, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ladyjanex50 macrumors newbie

I tried the default WEP password I found online for my wireless router (linksys WRTG something). but it said it was invalid. I tried the MAC code on the back of the router, but the computer complained it was too long. It has to be exactly 5 ACII letters according to Apple. I didn't set one up. What could it possibly be?

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Have you got WEP selected under Wireless Security if so choose none like shown below.

Attached Files:

3. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

If you can't connect via WEP, connect to the router via Ethernet and log in to the webconfig. Change the WEP password there; save the new config, restart the AP and you should be able to connect with the new password.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Are you sure that default password isn't for the router's control panel? Typically, the WRT's don't ship with any wireless network security enabled at all.

You don't want WEP anyways, it can be cracked in minutes. Use WPA2

5. ladyjanex50 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried that...didnt work

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

5 characters? Ummm....since when?

7. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Know the reset button on the back? Hold it down for like 15 seconds. Often you only need to hold it down for +5 or so, but depends on the router so do it for 15 to be sure. It resets the router to the default password (for linksys usually "admin") and you can get in and set everything up via ethernet, including configuring and securing wireless. Take the previous poster's advice and use WPA or WPA2. WEP is reeeeally weak.

Note: pressing the reset button for a second or two just reboots it but holding it for a period is what wipes everything and resets it.

8. ladyjanex50 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried admin as the password and &admin, but said it was invalid

9. ladyjanex50 thread starter macrumors newbie

idk, when the error message popped up it said, "password must be exactly 5 ACII letters long"

10. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Okay default router config will not have any encryption set. If it is asking for a WEP key it has already been configured to work on another network.

Do as suggested and reset the router and then use the following to ascertain the default username and password.

http://www.anameless.com/blog/default-passwords.html

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I hate to say it again, but; locate and read your router's owners manual.

Yes - RTFM - read the firewall manual...

12. TimJim macrumors 6502a

my WEP is 8 chars. long ...

13. robcts macrumors regular

I was getting the 'invalid' message yesterday when trying to configure my new MBP to work with WEP. It turns out you actually have to prefix your password with a special character or enclose it in quotes depending on the password. From Apple:

So if my password was 1111111111, I had to enter it as $1111111111 and it worked fine.

14. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Well I am using a NetGear and enter exactly the same as I enter on the router without any problems at all.

15. ladyjanex50 thread starter macrumors newbie

oddly, after i let my MBP charge i turned it on and it asked me if I wanted to join this wireless network so i said okay and now it works. weird, huh.