WEP problem can someone explain?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gtek500, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Gtek500 macrumors newbie

Ok I got a new router after I hooked it up right out of the box it was fine.
    I went to network pref on my macbook 10.5.6 and I tried setting up a WEP password under airport. I forgot where I went it said set up WEP and I put it in and then the internet went down. How do I get rid of it? I'm still new to macs. The router is a dlink dir-615. Can someone explain how I can fix it and set up a password for my wifi.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The setting for WEP security isn't set on the computer, you have to access the router's settings (usually via an IP address on a web browser) and enable/disable or set the passkey there. If you made any changes in your network preferences and you aren't sure how to undo them, create a new location (by clicking on the dropdown menu next to Location, and going to Edit Locations, then clicking on the + sign, naming a new location, then clicking Apply Now in the lower right. As far as clearing whatever settings you had on the router and essentially wiping it as it was just out of the box, there's typically a recessed reset button you have to push in with a paperclip that will clear your inputted settings and reset the configuration login/password for the router back to the default of admin/admin.

3. Gtek500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that actually help it jumped right online after I made a new one. I have another question now though. Under the new setting location I'm connected airport and then it says 2 ethernet connections. Is that from my router or is that something else?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There shouldn't be another Ethernet connection available under there, but I doubt there's any harm to removing either one, or both, because you can always add/remove using the + and - signs in the lower left corner of your Network Preferences if you're running Leopard, or going to Show: Network Port Configurations in Tiger.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant