Wep, wpa codes? What/where are these?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by veevenom, Jul 16, 2009.

1. veevenom macrumors newbie

HI,

I've purchased an Itouch for my dad and I've been playing with it to learn how it works so I can teach him. However, I'm SUPER confused with WEP, WAP keys where do I find these keys?

How does wifi work? If Ihave these keys will my dad be a able to use his wifi whenever he's at a wifi enabled place?

Also, he will be moving to Canada very soon will he have to figure this all out on his own when he's there? Or is this something I can set up for him and call it a day?

I NEED TONS OF HELP PLEASE,
    V-:confused::confused::(

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

WEP

WPA

Those two are two different protocols to securely connect to a wireless network.
    There are no universal keys, every Wireless LAN has its own WPA or WEP key, which has to be obtained by asking the administrator of a network.
    They then have to be entered into the appropriate field during the process of connecting to that wireless LAN.

3. Lancing macrumors member

Going to simplify heavily here.

There are basiclly 2 kinds of wifi networks:
    1. Public (non-secured)
    2. Private (secured)

WEP and WAP are encryption protocals for wifi network keys. When you have a wireless router you select the type of encryption you want to use on your network and then enter the key (basiclly a password) you want to protect your network. The purpose of this is to prevent others from connecting to your network and using your bandwidth which you pay for.

Contrary to popular belief wifi does not work everywhere and you can not connect to any wifi network unless it happens to be public or you happen to have the key.

4. Lancing macrumors member

If hes moving to Canada he'll like be using Rogers, Bell or Telus for his internet connection. The router configuration is pretty simple on any of those and theres a 1-800 number he can call to get assistence configuring it.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

WEP/WPA are different wireless security protocols. Of the two, WPA is more secure, WPA2 even more so. As spinnerlys indicated there are no universal keys, your father will have to acquire a key at each location where there is a secured network. Depending on where he is, there may actually be a open/unsecure wireless connection. Obviously he would probably not want to do banking/monetary transactions from his iPod touch while on such a network but regular web browsing will be smooth.