Were is the SMC Controller, exactly???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tech-Boy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Tech-Boy macrumors regular

Hey I was given a mac book that wouldn't show anything on screen, apple said it had bad logic board. I fixed that by torching the gpu die, and everything is perfect. Except the computer will not charge that battery, says battery 0% "not charging". I tried all the usual, so does anyone know exactly were the smc controller is on the motherboard? I have some ideas :p And all the cables from the mag safe connecter to the battery, appear good.

Thanks guys :apple:

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The SMC controller is soldered to the logic board and cannot be replaced by anyone but (maybe) the most skilled technicians. You will end up breaking the logic board anyway, I would recommend looking for a new one (you'd have to do this anyway to get a new SMC chip)

3. Tech-Boy thread starter macrumors regular

I know that. I just fixed the gpu, which is also soldered to the motherboard. Apple said the whole Logic board needed to be replaced, because the gpu was bad. That is why I got the computer free from a friend, however I managed to fix the gpu. And the computer is working perfectly right now, except for the battery won't charge. So could someone tell me were the smc micro controller is soldered to the motherboard? If anyone knows that is, I found some controllers but I don't know which one it is.

Thanks for the help

4. Tech-Boy thread starter macrumors regular

I am guessing that no one on here really knows :(

By the way if anyone wants to know how you fix a bad gpu, on a logic board, you just take a torch to it. Worked great for me.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

6. Tech-Boy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I already tried that but will try again. I also tried another power cable and battery but I get the same battery is connected but not charging thing. :(

7. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Can you please elaborate a bit?

8. Tech-Boy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah here is another thread I started that goes in detail http://www.overclock.net/laptops-notebook-computers/682940-amazing-how-i-fixed-mac-book.html

However to sum it up. The computer would boot but nothing would come on the screen, so I figured that it was the gpu that was bad. So I took the motherboard (logic board out), wrapped everything in foil except for the gpu. Placed a penny on top the gpu die, then held a torch about 6in away from the penny for 5min. I could see it getting really hot an the solder melting, then I let it cool for an hour. Put everything back together and it works perfectly! Except for the battery not charging.

9. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman