Were people as angry when the 3GS was released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ste1164, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I didn't really look into technology when the 3GS was released. But were people this angry when it was released because that was also a phone with just bumped up specs.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes. First there was nerdrage because it looked exactly like the 3G but then it turned to nerdgasm after they used it.

3. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

At the time, there wasn't dozens of other phones that have the same features that the 3GS introduced.

The 3GS offered some real upgrades.

Apple didn't delay the release of interim hardware 4 months.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup. Some people just need to bitch for the sake of bitching.

6. JCCL macrumors 6502a

For Starters, the 3GS was a more substantial upgrade. The Speed difference was much more dramatic (the change between a 3G and a 3GS was much bigger than the performance difference between a 4 and an iPad 2, I am assuming the iPhone 4S will perform similiar to the iPad 2), the 3GS for the first time had a somewhat decent camera and also was the first with video recording, the compass was also new, GPS was much more accurate, and had double RAM.

7. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I don't remember so much rage, but I do remember a hefty dose of disappointment. I heard stuff like: "That's it? I mean like, pssh, a video camera? Cycorder works great!" (No it didn't. I used it. It was obviously better than nothing on the 2G and 3G, but compared to the native video recording on the 3GS, it was balls.)

And there was plenty of griping about how the phone looked the same as the 3G, and lots of 3G owners proclaiming that they weren't going to upgrade.

I had an iPhone 2G, skipped the 3G and bought the 3GS. The difference was night and day, and it's almost all due to the increased RAM and processing power.

Edit: With that said, the 3GS still performs quite handily so I'd have a hard time imagining that the difference in processing speed between the 4 and 4S will be anywhere near as pronounced. Except perhaps in certain games.

8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think so. Not as much as this release at least, but the iPhone 3GS was still far ahead of the competition. I have a 3GS and wasn't upset about it being a spec bump. I was actually thrilled to buy it, but then again it was my first iPhone. I told myself I'm not getting a 4S if that's what's released, but a 5. After seeing the 4S, and the current state of my 3GS (physically in great condition, slow OS and terrible battery), I'm moving to the 4S. It doesn't look that bad at all, 14.4mbps and Siri could be helpful when I'm driving. When I think about it, I'm coming from a 3GS, difference will be substantial. My biggest issue is the screen, but from using a retina display, I see it as a sort of replacement for a bigger screen, definitely going to make a difference.

9. mullman, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

It was very similar.

And let's not forget the iPad (& iPad2) disappointment threads - what an abysmall failure those turned out to be. ;)
    "It's just a giant iPod Touch!"

10. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

This pretty much sums it up. :)

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

The iPhone 3G was slow and every app crashed, the 3GS was a major upgrade to me, the 4S seems like what shold have been included when the first iPhone 4 came out

12. ste1164 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Aha true, I sold the iPhone 4 a while ago and I wansnt going to upgrade but I missed being in the apple ecosystem, syncing with iTunes etc. So I think ill get the iPhone again.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

And when the 3GS came out folks said: it's what the 3 should have had in the first place...

14. Papanate macrumors regular

Honestly...these threads are getting irritating and quite annoying.

Please moderator folks...kill them while you still can.

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

The mobile phone "landscape" is much different now than when the 3GS came out. With all of the great phones available right now *cough* Galaxy S2 *cough*, I think it's quite a let down. If I still had a 3GS and I was determined to stay with IOS, I could see getting jazzed about this, but for those with a iPhone 4, it's not much of an upgrade. I sold my iPhone 4 over this last weekend and got Sprint's Galaxy S2. It's pretty sweet so far.

16. Badfoot macrumors 6502

17. stevendphoto macrumors member

Apple is notorious for giving just enough of an upgrade to make people want it.

I have a 3GS and was already to upgrade to a 5G, but I know darn well, if I get the 4GS and get locked into a 2-year contract, I will be majorly pissed when the 5G (with 4g) comes out next March. So I will NOT be upgrading...!

18. Schweitzer macrumors regular

By 5G do you mean the 5GSII (with 4g), and by 4GS do you mean the 4GSI?

19. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

According to Wolfram Alpha:

19 June 2009 - 11 July 2008 = 11 months 8 days
    14 October 2011 - 24 June 2010 = 15 months 20 days

20. dehory macrumors regular

When the 3GS was announced, the iOS experience on the 3G already felt frustratingly laggy under normal conditions, and iOS apps were palpably constrained by the 3G's processor speed and memory. (I remember feeling a sense of relief when I first used the 3GS.) Not to mention that there was no delay for the announcement.

This time around, the iPhone 4 still feels more than fast enough for the vast majority of users, and even games like Rage HD and Infinity Blade run exceptionally well on the device.

There comes a certain point when improvement in hardware performance is a matter of diminishing returns. Given the minuscule difference in actual experience between, say, watching 720p HD video vs a good SD encode on a screen the size of the iPhone's, you could certainly argue that we've reached this point.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Not so much. iPhone 3GS was still at least current with what else was offered at that time in the price range and in some ways had some huge pluses.

The 4GS is out the gate at least 6 months outdated and that is on day 1 it will be 6 months out dated in terms of hardware. That should tell you volumes right there.

22. sth macrumors 6502a

From a developer's perspective, the 3GS was a huge upgrade.
    It was the first device to introduce the first completely new architecture since the original iPhone, offering a much improved CPU (ARM Cortex A8), an OpenGL ES 2.0-capable GPU (PowerVR SGX535) and effectively 3-4x the amount of available RAM for 3rd-party applications.

What followed in 2010 was the A4 chip, which is - you guessed it - basically the same as what the 3GS had, the main difference being a bumped clock speed. The iPhone4 had more RAM but the other devices didn't, so the target for developers was/is still 256mb.

The iPad 2 introduced Apple's first new hardware platform since the 3GS: A DualCore Cortex A9 with a PowerVR SGX543 MP2 and 512mb RAM. This has now been carried over to the iPhone 4S (probably with more RAM again).

It's a significant leap on the graphics side but a bit of catching up with the competition on the CPU side – other phones have been using DualCore CPUs for roughly a year now.
    iOS is generally less CPU hungry than Android because everything is hardware-accelerated under the hood. That's why even the "old" 3GS doesn't feel slow at all, even when running the latest iOS release – In fact, the UI is still smooth as butter. But it won't win any number-crunching competitions.

To summarize the changes in the iPhone 4S:
    - The CPU is now in line with competing high-end handsets
    - The GPU is class-leading
    - So far, it looks like the camera is a winner as well

In terms of specs, the iPhone 4S is what everyone expected the new iPhone to be. It doesn't have any big new features like LTE or NFC, but I wouldn't have bet on these anyway, since the first generation of LTE chips is still very power-hungry and there isn't even a universal standard for NFC yet. If Apple had implemented LTE at the cost of reduced battery life, I guess "battery gate" would be right around the corner.

Anyway, I think the big disappointment is that a lot of people (me included) expected a redesign after 16 months, because it means that some iPhone4 customer's contracts will be up before the next iPhone is out and a lot of people don't want to upgrade to what looks like the same phone to them.

If the 4S had been presented 4 months earlier at WWDC, the nerdrage would have been only half as big as it is now.

23. grovertdog macrumors regular

Superb and concise synopsis, thank you!

24. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

The phone is in-line with the other high-end phones on the market, and in some ways ahead of the competition in terms of hardware and construction. Despite this you think it should have been released 15 months ago?...................

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I was so angry that I purchased one a month later instead of pre-order. That should teach Apple not to mess with my emotions. :p