Were the Apple IIs the only ones with no HD?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Jessica Lares, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Were the Apple IIs the only ones with no HD? Trying to figure out the first Mac setup I had as I had a machine that booted to MacPaint with no disk.

2. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I meant not built in. No, I did not have one of those. I had a UniDisk 3.5 on the right side of it.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

From the same article:
    Apple ]['s were NOT Macs...they never had internal HD's
    Initial Macs from 1984-1987 had no internal hard drives. The SE and Macintosh II were both released in 1987, with the SE being the first Mac with an internal HD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh

OBTW 3.5 disks were floppies.

4. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Bingo! Had that with the one drive (huge floppy) internal with the UniDisk next to it. Been awhile, I was two. :p.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Apple has only made three computers with a built-in 5.25" drive ("huge floppy", as I'm assuming you mean.)

The Apple III - Which is unlikely that you had, it wasn't all that popular.
    The original Lisa - Again, unlikely, it wasn't all that popular.
    The Apple //c - Which has its drive on the side, not the front.

None of which were a "Mac".

6. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Apple IIs were pre-Macintosh, friend. So i doubt your first Mac setup consisted of an Apple II, but maybe your first Apple setup consisted of a Mac :p

7. Louis2907 macrumors newbie

Macintosh

The original Macintosh did not come with a hard drive

Specs : 128K Ram, 400K Floppy Drive, 2 serial ports a mouse port and a tiny B & W Screen.

You could not get an internal HD until the Mac Plus whih had the SCSI interface

I Personaly owned these models : 128K, 512K, Mac plus, SE30(my favourite)
    5800, 6100, powerbook Pismo, G3 tower, 7300, G4 Tower, iMAc G5, iMac 2.8 gig core duo extreme.

Love them all

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nope. Apple //c, //e and //gs were sold along side Macs, back in the day. :D

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As was the Lisa 2. (Although it could run Macintosh software with the MacWorks software - and was later modified into the "Macintosh XL", which was just a Lisa 2 with MacWorks as the default system.)

Even the Apple III was available for a short time early in the Macintosh life. (The most-bugs-removed Apple III Plus was released a month before the Macintosh, and was shipped until April 1984.)

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There was a version of the Macintosh SE that did not have a hard drive, instead, two floppy drives:

[​IMG]

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ along the same vein - the LC had a dual internal floppy version as well.

12. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It was definitely Macintosh II, had Color QuickDraw as the base. No OS whatsoever. It was still a Mac. :rolleyes: Macintosh II.

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You're a giving a ton of conflicting information on the Mac side. Are you *sure* you're not thinking of something like a Apple IIgs, which had a MacPaint like application available for it? No internal hard drive. Color. Also the capability of 'big' floppies (5.25").

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/paintworks-plus

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The following Macs were available both with and without an internal hard drive:
    SE, II, IIx, Classic, LC. The IIcx, IIci, IIfx, and Portable *MAY* have been available that way, but would have been custom-ordered.

Of those, the SE, II, IIx, LC, IIfx, and Portable were also available with dual floppy drives. Fairly common on the SE, II, and LC, marginally common on the IIx and IIfx, REALLY uncommon on the Portable.

And, yeah, the IIgs would be a possibility, only it doesn't have a built-in floppy drive. It could have had both a 5.25" and 3.5" drive, though. (Mine has two of each connected right now.)

The only machine I can think of that would have had a "huge floppy" built in, *PLUS* an external 3.5" drive would be the original Apple IIc. It's the only computer Apple ever made that has an internal 5.25" drive that can also take a 3.5" drive externally.

And I don't think you could be referring to a caddy-load CD-ROM drive (which can look a little like a 5.25" floppy drive, if you squint hard enough,) because no machine with an internal CD-ROM drive can take an external floppy drive.

I'm thinking you had a IIgs with both a 5.25" and a 3.5" drive.

(Unless you have the drives backwards; and it was a system with an internal 3.5" drive, and EXTERNAL 5.25" drive. It may have been an SE or II with the PC Drive card and PC Drive, an external 5.25" drive compatible only with 360 KB PC floppies, not Apple II floppies, and came with software for reading PC floppies.)

15. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

There was the prototype IIgs "Mark Twain" that had a built in HDD and 3.5" drive, but it wasn't in production so you could not count that.

16. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It DIDN'T have the small floppy, we had a unidrive next to it on the side. It DID have the big floppy built in. And yes, it was QuickDraw with nothing in it.

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, not sure what you mean by "QuickDraw with nothing in it.", as QuickDraw is the API used to display things on the screen in the classic Mac OS. It's not an OS itself, or a drawing program itself.

And as I said, there is only one computer Apple ever made that has an internal 5.25" drive, and can also accept an external 3.5" drive: The Apple IIc. No "Macintosh" has ever had an internal 5.25" drive. (Discounting the very early prototype models with a "Twiggy" drive in place of the 400 kB Sony drive that was used in production - but I've never even seen a photo of one of those prototypes other than one really bad angle, low resolution one.)

And the only two machines that had a 5.25" drive "up front" built-in were the Apple III (can't take an external 3.5" drive,) and the original Lisa (dual 5.25" "Twiggy" drives, can't take an external 3.5" drive.)

As you said, you were only two; so I can basically guarantee you are mis-remembering.

I'm betting you are thinking either of an Apple IIgs or a Macintosh II-series.

Also, you said "booted to MacPaint without a disk". The only way I can think that would be possible is if it had an internal hard drive that was set to boot straight into a paint program.

18. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I am sure it was Color QuickDraw and the 5.25" was built in.

Let's totally forget the unidrive because it was not part of the computer and was just sitting there.

The problem is that the screen wasn't the standard Apple one, which is pretty confusing.

Is there anyway I can find information on games manufactured for these computers? I remember the games I had for it. One was a Garfield spelling thing, another was a maze with a rabbit. I know that for sure. Might have the disks somewhere.

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

We need to take this one step at a time. Here are two diskettes - the first one is 3.5" and the second is 5.25":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which one are you thinking of? It's nice that these two images aren't to scale - that forces you to think of the features of the disks themselves - for example the 3.5" disks have metal shutters on them. There are no Macs with the second type of diskette (5.25") built-in. Finding your software disks will be a big help, as the type of computer supported was many times written on the disk label.

20. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I didn't have any software disks, they had thrown this machine out and my dad brought it home. It was probably based on a ROM - which had the paint program built in.

Isn't it possible to have had the 5.25" as a built in OPTION?

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Not on a Mac. AFAIK, Apple built three machines with a built in 5.25" floppy drive - the Lisa, the Apple III, and the Apple IIc. As was previously mentioned, the IIc is the only one of the three that can also have an external 3.5" drive as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are you SURE you were dealing with a 5.25" floppy?

22. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, they didn't have bigger ones did they?

23. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Not as far as Apple is concerned - no.

A (very) few people used 5.25" drives with a Mac, and in every case the drive was external. They were used for compatibility with DOS, or with the Apple II. If you're sure what you were dealing with was a Mac, maybe go through the list of computers here (each linked page has a picture of that Mac) and see if you recognize it:

http://www.lowendmac.com/early-macs.html

24. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Thanks anyway. I know it was a Mac because I remember having that unidrive, I think it's just the setup that is confusing me. Probably was the Macintosh II (complete color) with the big 5" external under it. Funny thing is that my parents have absolutely NO pictures of me with any computer, so I don't have evidence of any, but it was there alright and it was indeed a Mac with some paint program on it.