Were the iPhone 6+ bends due to horizontal/vertical placement in the front pockets ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Sep 25, 2014.

1. kalebnate, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

kalebnate macrumors 6502

I supplied a diagram to make an easier discussion.

[​IMG]

Can we think about it for a second to try and verify how the iPhones were bent ? Were they due to position A or B (referring to diagram). I find it strange that position A can cause the iphone to bend the way it does. Then again, does someone place the phone as position B in their pockets ?

Every single time I ask someone to post a pic of their allegedly bent phone, I get the following list of answers :
    • They bent it back (we all know the screen cracks if so)
    • They sold the other phone and have no access to a camera
    • Just simply disappear from the thread.

If this is no meta crap happening then I have no idea what to call it.

2. iregret macrumors 6502a

Possibly and it appears that their weakest point is the cut outs for the volume and on/off button.

Another thing to consider is placemat in the pocket. For instance, you could always face the screen towards your skin and always point the phone with the volume buttons downward.

Of course I think this is all blown out of proportion anyhow.

3. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh for sure, 100%. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this because it's mind bending, pun intended. I place my phone similar to Position A with the screen facing my thigh, I can't imagine it bending when I sit down even for long hours.

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

I believe also when sitting down you need to push your phone "up" in your pocket. If you don't do this you can frequently feel the pressure being applied to your phone as it gets squeezed between the bottom of your pocket and the pulling force of the pants pulling tight around your thigh. I'm already in the habit of doing this anyway with my older iPhone because when I sit down as it gives more "room". Of course like any normal person I always use position A.

So of course I plan to do the same thing with my 6 Plus when it arrives.

I also have always exclusively put my phone in my pocket with the screen side facing my leg. I have done both of these things since the inception of the original iPhone. Both seem totally common sense to me and I guess I kind of assumed everybody naturally did the same thing - but clearly not.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Can you actually put the 6+ in a (non-ghetto loose) jeans sideways? Position B would most certainly not work with the fitted jeans shown in the OP.

6. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Then the reported bendins happened in position A ? Isn't that quite hard to accomplish, if not impossible ?

7. Epiphron macrumors regular

Mine has a slight bend. It's definitely in position A. I think what's happening is that since my pockets are very big, it kinda wraps around my thigh (unlike skinny jeans). When I took the stairs, I felt it pressured on the corner of thigh (like offside from facing front), and sure enough the part of the phone that was curving away from my front pocket had a slight bend. Maybe tight pants pockets will help here

8. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you post a pic of your bent phone ?

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not own a 6 Plus but could you even get the 6 Plus into position B with average jeans?

If so I can see that would put alot of stress on it. Looks like it would be uncomfortalbe too!

I had to pocket my 6 for a few days till my case arrived and it never flip on it side into the B position. Much less the Plus

10. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

No wonder apple said this is been blown out of proportions. No definite proof (no one is posting pictures of their alleged bent phones) and no common sense to make such claims.

11. oplix Suspended

oplix

You could have just used common sense and realized an iphone 6 plus won't fit sideways into 99.9% of pant pockets. Took me a whole 2 seconds and didn't even need to use photoshop.

12. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

You're missing the whole point of this thread.